This Way or That Way?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Take-a-Hike
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

This Way or That Way?

Post by Take-a-Hike »

Since I have our big trip in August planned for Isberg Pass and the SE corner of Yosemite, coming out around Elcetra Peak and back making it a loop trip, I'm looking for pro's/con's about a shorter trip, 3-5 days worth, in the same area or the alternative, coming up McGee Creek and hanging out around Fish Creek/Cotton Lake area. Specifically, on the west side, I was looking around the Chain Lakes area or the Fernandez Lakes area, but am a bit concerned about how crowded those areas would get around mid July. We've never been in that area of the west side before, thus the plans for the longer trip in August. Coming in from McGee Creek would put us on the back side of an area we've been to before and really liked...Mott Lake and the Silver Divide. So, it's a toss up right now...I could be talked into either one.
I guess a close 3rd would be the Apollo/Orchid/Cirque Lakes area that many have written about on this site...but I'm not sure how to get into the area. I'm pretty sure seclusion wouldn't be an issue there.
So many choices, so little time....
Thanks in Advance....
Perry - Take-a-Hike
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: This Way or That Way?

Post by giantbrookie »

I think the Fernandez area is fairly popular and a relative "ordinary" destination compared to your nice Electra area plans. Orchid-Apollo, on the other hand, would be a fine choice with some options for the approach, depending on how exotic one wanted the trip to be.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

For me, Orchid, Apollo, Cirque is the best choice. I've been to all of the places mentioned and twice to Apollo. The easiest approach is Bear diversion Dam. To get there one needs a high ride vehicle.

The picture is from Apollo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Cross Country on Sun May 23, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take-a-Hike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Take-a-Hike »

Thanks....I had a feeling that the 3rd choice might be a hit amongst you guys. I've been down that road b 4 to the diversion dam...have a Mitsubishi up for the road. While going up the trail along the stream to the JMT junction 2 summers ago I kept an eye on the ridge over there to see about possibilities of going off trail to the lakes.....drew more questions in my head than answers.
Would it be best to just cross Bear Creek a couple miles in and head up or is there some land mark that marks the way? I did notice an area where the ridge kind of tapers down running parallel to the stream, and it looks like it might come to a point and appeared to open up a more gradual gradient to tackle going up.
I don't mind being adventuresome, but I do have the wife in tow....but as long as she knows there's a few days of rest and relaxation ahead up on top, she's about game for anything....especially after last summers mis-adventures in Lakes Basin...!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

In by opinion the best route is a loop. Go up the trail and follow the small creek up to Apollo. Return the way you mentioned going up. Going down is better than coming up because of visibility - better down than up. Finding you way can be difficult with lack of a view because this off trail route is somewhat flat in places.