April Snow Camping - who's interested?

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
ridgeline
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by ridgeline »

Im always partial to Little Lakes Valley, you can always get to Mosquito flats safely with a head lamp if you come in late. There is food at Toms when either entering or leaving. The snow conditions in most areas of the valley are safe right now, with many options for snowshoe or ski adventures, and more beauty than one can imagine.
wingding

Post by wingding »

I've always wanted to do the trek to Glacier Point in the winter, but that's a long drive for me.
Gak Icenberg
Topix Novice

Post by Gak Icenberg »

I've been teaching skiing at Kirkwood forever. I'm new at snow camping, but I have all the gear including a randonee set-up. So if some or all of you decide on carson pass or somewhere in the area I'm in. Let me know if thats the case........Gak
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Im open for eastside, westside or whatever we can figure. Just need the time to plan for it schedule wise. Here is a shot of the new Rock Creek lodge dining rm. They transport by snowmobile from the parking to the lodge and back for dinner, need reservations, short drive from Mammoth and other eastside trailheads.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Breathing the exhaust from the snowmobiles was my least favorite part of the trip! I can understand why they do it, but....SN and I were witness to a fairly heated argument between a x-country skier couple and the snowmobile operation at the start of the trailhead. The man said that the snowmobilers like to play 'chicken' with skiers and snowshoers! :eek:
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Most likely the snowmobilers get closer to the skiers than the skiers like. Up north here where I live, the xc skiers use the trails that offroaders pay to have groomed thru their green sticker money. I do know that if you are not into noise and exhaust fumes, the last thing you want out there when trying to enjoy the great outdoors is a snowmobile coming by.
Piece of cake.
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

From the parking at East Fork to Mosquito flats the road is groomed by the employees of Rock Creek Lodge into thirds. There are tracks on one side, skate lane in the middle and snowmobiles that run between the Lodge and the east fork parking on the other side. The snowmobile stays in this lane, along with snowshoers, dogs and hikers to keep the groomed area clean for skiis. Which means if you have shoes and no skiis you need to step out off the road when the snowmobile comes since they have no place to move to. This all ends at Mosquito flats and south of.
I was on the road from 6:30 am to 3:30pm last Sun and never saw one snowmobile, saw about six skiers, two on shoes, and two dogs.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

That couple got in the argument because their dogs were unleashed and the snowmobilers said something. On the way out he stopped to tell us about it, even though we were there and saw it. I was under the impression he had gotten into it with them before.

When we arrived the start of the road had a ton of people and luggage waiting to get a ride to the lodge. Luckily, we were lagging and they got all the people up there before we started.

Last time I was there I don't think we saw more than 6-10 skiers.

It'll be interesting with the splitboard and a full pack :retard:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Just figured out how to post pics!!

Little Lakes Valley
Last edited by Snow Nymph on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Cool, how did you do that.