North Dome Spring

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

North Dome Spring

Post by Sierra Maclure »

Anyone have a description or, better yet, GPS points for the purported spring near the shoulder/camping spot on North Dome in Yos.? If any, this year might be the one to use it in June. Hoping you can help. Don't want to lug water. :retard: Thanks.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: North Dome Spring

Post by balzaccom »

We did this hike last year from Porcupine flat. DOn't remember a spring, but the creek in Indian Canyon there always has water---we went in late August and it still had plenty.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: North Dome Spring

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Years ago when climbing "Crest Jewel" on the south face of North Dome the first day the Tioga road was open, we counted on filling up at the spring. It actually was an exceptionally wet winter and what appeared to be a spring was dry. We proably did not find the real spring. We only had a liter of water each and I gave most of mine to my climbing partner. It was nearly 90 degrees. I had such bad leg cramps by the time we reached the creek (think it was Royal Arch Creek) as we walked out, that I literally crawled to the water to drink! So, lesson learned is that do not count on that spring! But if hiking or camping on North Dome, it actually is not that far from other water sources. Once we did not find the spring, we had to decide to retreat or go for it - we decided to go for it - one of the best climbs in Yosemite, by the way. All the previous week it was cool and we definitely were caught off guard when our climbing day suddenly became really hot!