Pingree Lake (emigrant wilderness) trail?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
adam
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Pingree Lake (emigrant wilderness) trail?

Post by adam »

In response to a previous post, a few of you suggested emigrant wilderness as a nice area for a mellow July trail trip. In looking at maps of the area (I haven't been there since childhood summer camp), I notice the USGS topo shows two trails leading from Pingree lake to the buck meadows area (see attached jpg). However, on the web and TOPO they are not there:
http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=38.13459,-11 ... ounty%20CA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do either or both of these trails still exist? Are they worth doing? My thinking was to try to turn this trip
http://books.google.com/books?id=SFTJqN ... ss&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(crabtree to Pingree lake) into a loop.

thanks for any info!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hwy395lvrz
Topix Acquainted

Re: Pingree Lake (emigrant wilderness) trail?

Post by hwy395lvrz »

What I remember of that particular area is it is probably the least visited in the Emigrant.The trails in the immediate area of Pingree Lake are cross-country routes,over granite slab mostly marked by ducks.Some route finding skills will be necessary.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Hi Adam

I've hiked down from Wood lake into this area, but not as far as Pingree. From Wood Lake there is a use trail that is fairly easy to follow, although it does not show up on the maps. On the other hand, this part of Emigrant is possibly the easiest place in the Sierra to cross country without trails. We didn't use the trail from Wood Lake, just hiked out of our campsite and followed our maps/noses to Karl's Lake and Leighton Lake...and easy terrain to go further south and west.

I don't know your navigation skills, but if you can read a map and a compass, these lakes are almost within sight of each other as you hike along..it would be hard to get lost, I think.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

This is a pretty fun hike if you can read a map. The first hard part is crossing the creek below Rosasco Lake, particularly this year and early season. A good first day would be to target Rosasco Lake, where there is established camp spots. There is really no trail to Rosasco Lake and Pingree Lake. All of the X-C is very easy. Good targets to explore would be Big Lake and Yellowhammer Lake. Hayatt Lake is seldom visited and has one for the best sandy beaches of the Sierra. Google Maps has some nice pictures in the area. Karls Lake and the ones around it are easy to get to.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

A few years back I went to Hyatte Lake - and ran into an entire camp of a CCC trail crew. I have the highest respect for CCC trail crews, so do not begrudge them their nice campsite so I continued on to Big Lake, which turned out to be my favorite lake in the area. I traversed over from Hyatte Lake. I did not go at peak flow, yet I thought some of the creek crossings had pretty significant wading (I am short, so everyone else's knee-deep is thigh deep for me). I would not call the off-trail travel easy, per se, but it is not too bad. Map reading is important. You really need a detailed map (7.5 minute) or equivelent resolution GPS software.
adam
Topix Acquainted

Post by adam »

Thanks everyone for the help. I think my parents-- on whose behalf I was asking-- will stick to an established trail loop, but I'm anxious to do some cross country exploring around there when I can.
DLB
Topix Newbie

Post by DLB »

Adam,

I have hiked in Emigrant at least a dozen times and stayed at Pingree twice and stayed there last August. Its a nice lake with good fishing and worth a trip, a bit crowded for my preference though as its become more popular over the years. There are clearly marked, ducked trails going in and out of it but have a map/compass or GPS to be sure of your route as its easy to get mixed up among so much granite.

If your folks have time I would not stop at Pingree though as from there you are in close proximity to other better lakes as others have mentioned.

Its best to do a two day trip to get to Pingree unless you have light packs and are only going for a few days. A one day out is no problem if your in shape.

Doug