Yosemite backpacking advice for this summer/fall?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Yosemite backpacking advice for this summer/fall?

Post by rlown »

Vidalia wrote: I noticed the High Sierra Camps are tentatively scheduled to close by Sept 6 so they will not be open when we hike. Are the privies still usable after they close? What about the bear boxes? We will be taking bear containers of course but I was wondering if anything was left after the camps closed?
In my experience, the privies have been open, at least in Glen Aulin (even had a solar charged light in it, so when you opened the door, a light would come on for a reasonable amount of time.)

Vogelsang has always had problems with their toilets, and in '08, we didn't try them.

Here's a pic of Vogelsang HSC below Fletcher. Note how dry it was in '06. Same in '08.
HPIM0338.jpg
The bear boxes are all there, but... If you're anywhere near Vogelsang, that is not the place to camp. You'll probably end up at Ireland the first night (smallish fish.) If you make it to Evelyn, There's a big tree on the NE shore that is perfect to camp behind. Blocks the wind, and the fishing right off that bench is excellent. I've camped there about 9 times. Most go to the "delta" area, hence, i don't.

As I've always gone to that area in mid/late Sept, It has always been warm days with the occasional cold front. The rule of the day was cotton T's and shorts for hiking, but then carrying a full set of fleece and rain gear. It can and does drop into the teens in mid Sept, and lots of wind.

Given you're ticket is for Lyell, you won't run into the pack trains until you hit Vogelsang. After the HSC's close, there are daily mule trains, generally 3 at a time to go up and carry out stuff. You probably wont have a problem with that. As I like Rafferty that time of year to get to Evelyn, I find myself either following the droppings all the way up or helping corral a loose Mule who didn't want to cross the bridge.

Anyway, It'll be an epic adventure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am not sure why you want to camp at one of the High Sierra Camps if they are closed. In fact I am not sure why anyone would camp there unless you have booked a good dinner! There are so many beautiful places to camp that are not so over-run with people. You are required to have a bear cannister anyway, so the use of the bear boxes are really not needed. I find the Sierra High Camps really dusty, dirty and run down by Fall.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Wandering Daisy wrote:You are required to have a bear cannister anyway, so the use of the bear boxes are really not needed.
Are you sure you are required to have a bear cannister if you are staying in an area where there are bear boxes ? Seems to me you wouldn't need one if bear boxes are available.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

That is what I was told the last time I got a permit. This was not the case several years ago. Evidently, they are worried about what you would do if the bear boxes filled up. But you need to check on this. Sometimes individuals who give out permits are not technically correct on what they tell or require of you.
vic0825
Topix Newbie

Post by vic0825 »

I will be going on my 1st overnight backpacking trip. I would like to stay at the high sierra camps (the tent cabins are full -- so I plan to bring my own tent and gear). Is anyone familiar with the high sierra camps. Is there a place we can camp there? I am a bit afraid to camp on my own where there are absolutely no one else, would like to have a few others around. If we can camp (using our own tent) at the high sierra camps, is it first-come first-serve. Does it fill up quickly? Would love to go to Volsang. Any advice would be great? Thanks
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Vic,
Congratulations on your first overnight Yosemite trip...the lakes around Voglesang are worth visiting but I have to question why you would want to stay immediately at the HSC. You can do so much better.

Here is the thing about the HSC's: great food served family style, hot showers at $5, crowded but adequate canvas tent cabins, a great crew of willing staff, all serviced daily by mules and with the mule trains comes...(wait for it)...(no, not the trail biscuits, of which there are many)...
Horse flies - (the ones that bite!)...Yowza!

There are better places - small but spectacular tarns close by...within 1/2 mile...Fletcher Lake, the Townsleys, Boothe just below...all have great camping sites where many others will also probably be camping too...close enough but not on top of you...plenty of room but safe...the fraternity of the "first night out" backpacking community. You can always walk easily to the HSC if you can bag a dinner reservation.

While backpacking Yosemite is a grand adventure, you are still on the main trail...just scratching the surface...many you encounter will also have your same itinerary - Voglesang area - first night. If you want solitude, it definitely can be found close by, but not on the main artery leading from Tuolumne to the Valley.

If I were you, I would head up Rafferty to the pass just before Voglesang...and at the sign (10,014 ft) just head up south-east (off trail - look at your TOPO) and stay around Fletcher...little closer than the HSC and where you really want to be.
Mountainman who swims with trout
adam
Topix Acquainted

Post by adam »

I second the previous post. I did my first solo backpack trip, which was also my first "I planned it rather than tagging along" trip in that area (up lyell canyon to jxn with Ireland creek the first night, fletcher lake near vogelsang the second night, out raferty creek trail) and felt comfortable the whole way, despite being fairly nervous going in. I found the whole high sierra camp experience to be a bit of an off-putting zoo, but that's just my opinion. In any case, anywhere near any of the camps will be plenty of "real" campers as well.
adam
Topix Acquainted

Post by adam »

Also reminds me of a comment that my mom, who's still backpacking in her 60s, has made several times: "once I stay in the camps, I'll never be able to go back to carrying my own gear, so I'm not doing it 'til I absolutely have to"
vic0825
Topix Newbie

Post by vic0825 »

Planning a hiking trip this summer (first one). I am very last minute (not a good thing). I need to get a backcountry pass. I plan on going in August. Any suggestions? Is it hard to get a backcountry pass at the last minute? Wanted to hike to Volsang, but can always change plans. :)
Vidalia
Topix Novice

Post by Vidalia »

We definately don't plan on camping at the HSC but since this area will be new for us I was wondering what facilities they left there over winter. We'll take a look and photos but will be somewhere away from the troden path when camping. Water, solitude and views are what we're looking for.
Wandering Daisy wrote:I am not sure why you want to camp at one of the High Sierra Camps if they are closed. In fact I am not sure why anyone would camp there unless you have booked a good dinner! There are so many beautiful places to camp that are not so over-run with people. You are required to have a bear cannister anyway, so the use of the bear boxes are really not needed. I find the Sierra High Camps really dusty, dirty and run down by Fall.
I was wondering one thing though...

How do you get the big grin off your face when you leave this incredible place??