Ride from South Lake to Bishop

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
jb_aka_marmot
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Ride from South Lake to Bishop

Post by jb_aka_marmot »

So after searching numerous forums, it sounds like there is no organized or even unorganized shuttle service between North/South Lake and Bishop? Amazing... If anyone knows a way, please let me know. Do most folks who need a ride from the trailhead end up hitching with success?

Thanks for the advice!

jb
treadwell
Topix Acquainted

Re: Ride from South Lake to Bishop

Post by treadwell »

While it won't help you this year Bob Ennis of Mt. Whitney Shuttle told us, a couple of weeks ago, that he is trying to put together a shuttle for the Bishop area for next summer.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Wouldn't it be cool if one of the local shops would maintain a list of phone numbers for retired persons along the east and west side willing to be "Trailhead Angels". I don't mean as a business because the cost and liability would be too much. Something more like you make the call and see if someone is available. Then some old retired hiker shows up to shuttle you because they know you are going to buy the gas, lunch, maybe a little extra, but mostly because they enjoy doing it and sharring a few stories.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
huts

Post by huts »

I have given a ride from Bishop to South Lake, we were getting our permits at the same time. In the past I got a ride from Mammoth back south to Mcgee Creek. I met the folks on the trail. I frequently give rides to PCT hikers and others. Ask around. I live more to the north or I would tell you I could help you out.... I think gary c. has a good idea.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

When we did the JMT we hitched all the way from Whitney Portal to Mammoth (4 rides) and gave each one gas $$. In the early 90s, we set up a car shuttle, but I took the wrong keys. So someone from Pine Creek called a retired truck driver that gave us a ride to Bishop. We gave him $80. It was worth it.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rainwalker
Topix Novice

Post by rainwalker »

try to get talking to some one on the way down to the t/h car park they will usually give you a ride thats what i did a few years ago, getting back up was easy i just asked in a coffee shop in bishop if someone would take me up for a few bucks, no problem. good luck