Suggestions for trip with 7 year old

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Suggestions for trip with 7 year old

Post by Cross Country »

Above and below Disappointment Lake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

Focus on making the experience as positive as possible for your 7 year old. That means Daddy has to carry everything! (Seriously.) At that age, the most your little one should carry is a daypack to hold his Gameboy and maybe a sweatshirt. He'll be able to keep up with you just fine, as you will be carrying all your (collective) gear.

Also, choose a route and destination that will be largely free of mosquitoes. What time of year are you planning to go?

For footwear, make sure your son wears a comfortable, broken in pair of sneakers. Boots and young kids are not a great idea.

Take plenty of sunscreen.

What really matters to your son is that he gets to be with you the entire time, and has your undivided attention. He'll never forget!

Here are two photos of a trip I took with my son when he was 7. We hiked in about 5 miles each day.

Markr
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Markr »

Consider 20 Lakes Basin at the head Saddleback Lake, which is just over Taioga Pass. You can take the ferry in to shorten the hike. The kids should enjoy that. The basin in beautiful, though kids might prefer a forest. The drive through Yosemite is always a treat.

There is a rugged resort at Saddleback. That could put all kinds of vairety into the trip. Though when I was a kid I much rather would have camped in the forest than in alpine area.
LarBear
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by LarBear »

A lot of good suggestions. I come into Dinky Lakes from the West on the road to the resivior becasue the direct road is pretty bad. My 6-7 year old grandkids love Saddleback. The boat ride and climbing the rocks is great fun and there is always a snow field at the bottom of Mt. Conness to play in. The best campsite is 1/2 mile off the trail once you get to Steelhead Lake witt trees on top of a small hill.