April Snow Camping - who's interested?

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

April Snow Camping - who's interested?

Post by Snow Nymph »

If interested, when?
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Um, definite maybe. I may need to work a few Saturdays, April 29,30 are out. The first half of the month might work for me, I don't want to be away from home two weekends in a row, so April 22 would be out for me too. If I could get away with just working half a Saturday, it is only 3 hours down to the Mammoth area for me, I could be there early afternoon. Don't plan for me. If I can make it I'll make it.

A bunch of us were planning on going to Lassen this weekend, but with the snow they have changed plans some so I may not go. It would mean more travel thru snow for me. Everyone else is a flatlander, so they would only have to travel a short ways in snow on Sunday. I would have to travel over 2 hours in good weather to get home.
Piece of cake.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

April 22-23 is not good for me either
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

I am pretty flexible, but my schedule is always up in the air so usually I will know the week of.

Any ideas about where? hd mentioned mammoth, is the west side an option?
Randonnee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Randonnee »

I haven't made it out this winter so a weekend camping trip sound great. Right now I am open all weekends in April.
"The distinguishing mark of true adventures, is that it is often no fun at all while they are actually happening." ? Kim Stanley Robinson
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Yes, the west side is an option, but I'm not familiar with the area :( , so if someone can pick a place on the west side, etc I'm all for it!

Also, think about where to go, if the choice is the east side.

ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Im up for combining the forum gathering with snow camping.
Randonnee
Founding Member

Post by Randonnee »

ridgeline,

I like that idea.

H
"The distinguishing mark of true adventures, is that it is often no fun at all while they are actually happening." ? Kim Stanley Robinson
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Good idea, guys! I can splitboard in. I have 3 prs of snowshoes (2 are small) if anyone needs them. Most of you guys ski, so that might work out!

Now to pick a place!

copeg

Post by copeg »

Some west side options:
-Yosemite (Badger pass to Dewey point, Glacier Point or somewhere in between, Snow Creek, Little Yosemite Valley)
-Tahoe area: somewhere near Carson Pass (probably too far for socal residents)
-Sequioa: a few places come to mind. Up the road (unplowed) toward Big Meadows/Rowell Meadows. Toward Pear Lake. A very easy trip would be to camp at or near Panther Gap (very scenic). Skibum (if he's reading this) may have some better ideas.
-There are several Sno-park areas along the west side (pretty much almost every hwy that penetrates from the west and isn't plowed through has a sno-park at the end of the plowing)

Some of these trips may depend upon avalanche training, gear, etc... but for the majority this gear isn't needed.

Personally, I'd want to go to Little Lakes Valley. But that drive from the west in the winter is a killer. If I'm the only one that votes west side, and all others would rather go east, by all means go east. Maybe I could try to make a longer trip out of it to mitigate the long drive.