What maps do you carry?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What maps do you carry?

Post by fishmonger »

I usually am on the JMT, or at least am doing long trips for 1+ weeks, so I bring overview maps for the region to do long term planning. Tom Harrison JMT maps mostly, as they are concise. For areas where I want to deviate from well known routes, I just print the relevant area from the 24k map files I have collected (they are public domain), splicing them together in Photoshop to make a single sheet out of two if the area I care about covers more than one map file. Those can be used to start a fire when you're done, or take notes on, etc. I currently have 50 24k maps covering most of the Sierra. I also have the 24k Garmin maps in my GPS, but that's really only a gizmo and I use the GPS more to track distance and elevation than for orientation.
adam
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by adam »

where does one get the 24k (or 7.5k) map files? I've gone to the usgs site, and had no luck- but maybe I just didn't look in the right place?
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

USGS has PDFs to download, but those can't be edited. I found the TIF version of the USGS 7.5 min maps on a server from UC Davis a while back. Not sure if it's still there. A few words in google got me back to that content, now on a California State .gov site:

http://www.atlas.ca.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is where it seems to be now

go to the download link, and then good luck finding the right files. It is not the most user friendly archive.

go to this area

Categories » imageryBaseMapsLandCover » baseMaps » drg » 7.5_minute_series_albers_nad83_untrimmed

and then you need to know what sheets you want. At least they now added the map name to a column on the right, so if you know the rough map number for the area, you can find them quickly

Mt. Whithney is #36118-e2 to get you started.

don't use your browser's back button in that interface - it'll dump you out to the main page and you have to click yourself back to the map list again. Once you figure that out and know your map names, happy downloading.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Thanks for the link info, Fishmonger. I've already downloaded a few. Being able to stitch maps together in Photoshop is a great way to cut down on paper (and weight).
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Here is a very simple way to access the 7.5' maps:

http://libremap.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click "Data" on the first page, pick the state you want on the second, then enter the name of the place you are interested in, and a list of results with all the relative info will come next. A TIFF image can be downloaded from there.
The files are large, of course, but are editable and have all the detail. I have been in the Land Surveying profession for over 20 years and have used both the 7.7' and 15' maps for a long time. I would say that Libremap is one of the easiest ways to find a good map of a particular spot there is.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
adam
Topix Acquainted

Post by adam »

thanks for the link!
Sloop
Topix Novice

Post by Sloop »

Hey everyone,

while we're having map-talk, can anyone tell me where on the USGS 7.5 map it says the UTM grid? I have no problems with the easting and northing, but i can't seem to find where it says you're in, for example, 16T.

Thanks!
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

For my REI trips, I make my maps from Terrain Navigator Pro. My husband got it for me for Xmas a few years ago. He's in Contra Costa SAR and that's what the local SAR guys use. I convert the TNP maps to Nitro PDFs and play with the labels and markers and print them out on tabloid size paper for each client. They're a great teaching tool and souvenir. I also use TH maps. Tom uses a wheel to track the mileage so it's pretty accurate. I have a stack of 7.5 min. USGS maps with ragged edges and taped folds that hold many memories. If I have the correct one, I'll take it on my personal trips along with a TH. I love maps and it makes me a bit nervous that I don't have one for my life. I guess I'll just have to draw it as I go, creating a new trail here, and a forested refuge there, and a junction where our trails meet to hang out with friends. :nod: