TOPO! NatGeo Update Re: Wildflower Productions

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
obiwan canoli
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

TOPO! NatGeo Update Re: Wildflower Productions

Post by obiwan canoli »

About 10 years ago, I picked up a number of the [former] Wildflower TOPO! programs for various areas of California, i.e., Yosemite, Sequoia, Lassen, Tahoe and others. I used these in tandem with a Garmin 12CX I picked up around the same time, and found both useful and fun. On a few occasions, Wildflower (now National Geographic) provided updates, and updates - though it has been several years - the latest and LAST of which is 2.7.7.

Fast forward to 2010, and I'm now considering a new and updated GPS which, as you might guess, is not supported by the former Regional Series TOPO!, and as well, new GPS' don't support older software, particularly since, in my case, NatGeo discontinued the Regional Series, and now offers a similar, and more feature-laden product (TOPO! California) specific to each state.

I contacted natGeo, initially frustrated at being faced with the prospect of not only the expense of a new GPS, but at having to add to that expense by purchasing a new (not an upgrade) version of TOPO!. I see dollar signs flashing before my eyes. The folks at NatGeo - a guy by the name of Kevin Lance, to be specific - ultimately provided over-the-top service and assistance, making me an offer I couldn't refuse...

Turns out that NatGeo quietly, discreetly, offered an opportunity to former Regional Series users the benefit of receiving the current State Series TOPO! product at the cost of a TOPO! 4 Upgrade Kit - $19.95 + S&H. I had no idea, had never been contacted, and was pleasantly surprised to learn of. This is typically a $99.95 program, and I was informed it was a significant improvement over the former Regionals. Apparently, this program was never discontinued, is still available, and though it's an offer which applies to only ONE State-specific package, it's a steal for anyone wanting to update their topographic software - especially if you have a more current GPS which supports (or is supported by) this software.

If you want to take advantage of this same offer, and are a current/former user of the older Wildflower Productions Regional Series TOPO!, I suggest you contact Kevin Lance, Customer Service Supervisor, NatGeo Maps at 1-800-962-1643 x100 and tell him I sent you. He'll provide you over-the-top service as well! =D> \:D/
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TOPO! NatGeo Update Re: Wildflower Productions

Post by Mike M. »

I called last week and left a message for Kevin. He called today and refused to upgrade me at the discounted price. He told me the $19.95 upgrade program was only available to owners of the state series maps, not the older regional series maps marketed by Wildfire.

Seems directly contrary to your experience. I wonder what gives?

Mike
obiwan canoli
Topix Novice

Post by obiwan canoli »

Mike, that's not right.

I was contacted by Kevin via email, following my email contact regarding the former TOPO! Regional Series - originally from Wildflower Productions - and as a consequence of those contacts, he offered the new software, as I noted, for $19.95 (+S&H).

He further informed me that this offer had been in existence for some time, and he treated this as if I were someone who simply came late to the party...

We handled the transaction right over the phone, as I had called at his request to discuss the particulars in his email. That he refused to honor the identical opportunioty for you is baffling, and I suggest you contact Kevin one more time to make clear your reason for doing so. I would remind him that he did the same thing for me, and if, in fact, you also had the former Regional Series (Yosemite, Sequoia, Tahoe, etc.), his offer should be as genuine for you as it was for me.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Obiwan, can you post Kevin's e-mail address here so I can contact him by e-mail? It's possible the person who contacted me wasn't Kevin, but someone in his office who was working his way through Kevin's voice mails. I guess it couldn't hurt to try again.

Mike
obiwan canoli
Topix Novice

Post by obiwan canoli »

TOPO! Support <knowledgebase@topo.com>

Kevin Lance, Dept. Supervisor, 800-962-1643 X100

I also have a ticket number, but that refers to MY contacts with him, and probably wouldn't do you much good.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I called Kevin a three weeks ago and had no trouble upgrading. The upgrade arrived about 10 days later. Thanks for your original post Obiwan.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Once again, they turned me down. Here's the e-mail exchange:

Dear Mike,

Thank you for contacting National Geographic Maps,

The Upgrade for $19.95 is for users who have a 2.5 version of the TOPO! STATE SERIES.

Your Yosemite and Sequoia products are part of the TOPO! REGIONAL SERIES. These can only be upgraded to version 2.7.7 and are not compatible with the State series products.

If you wish to sitch to STATE SERIES, you will need to purchase the most current version of TOPO! California.

Technical Support
National Geographic Maps
Ticket #TQJB37029 (please include this ticket number in future correspondance)

On April 02, 2010 13:30, mamiller wrote:

> Kevin, your name was given to me by two members of High Sierra Topix, both of whom upgraded their older TOPO! digital software to a NatGeo state series product at a cost of $19.95. I called a few weeks ago and was told no such upgrade existed. See this link for more information:
>
> viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4871" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>
> I own both the Yosemite and Sequoia map series produced by Wildfire Productions and wish to upgrade to the California NatGeo version at that price. Is this possible?
>
> Mike Miller
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Update: I got a call today from the REAL Kevin Nance, who explained that the e-mail address and phone number Obiwan had posted on this site belongs to the support group for NatGeo maps. I in fact had not talked or corresponded with the real Kevin Nance, but rather with members of his staff. He apologized for the confusion and explained the $19.95 offer is really intended for upgrades of the older state series maps, not the regional ones. But he offered to extend the $19.95 offer to me, as well as any other readers of this site. He will inform his staff, but in case they don't get the word, be sure to ask them to talk to Kevin, their manager.

Thank you, Kevin!

Mike
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Awesome! :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
obiwan canoli
Topix Novice

Post by obiwan canoli »

Yea!

I'm glad you were able to make the connection... I'm still a little curious, though, since his initial response to me as regards my desire to "upgrade" to the newer software was interpreted to suggest that this $19.95 special price was available to ALL old TOPO! 2.7.7 users (if you didn't have this updated version of the OLD software, you could download it from the NatGeo website).

Your message, Mike, and Kevin's response, seem to suggest I received special treatment, having had the older TOPO! Regionals, when in fact, according to what Kevin told you, that software never was eligible for the $19.95 special pricing program they offered. Hmmm... well, I'm pleased to learn you got through, and further, that Kevin was nice enough to extend the offer to forum members here.

I probably shouldn't have posted this information on the other forums I check in with, eh?

Thanks for the update!

Mikey