Antarctic Journal

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Antarctic Journal

Post by dave54 »

Currently listening to Roald Amundsen's journal of his trip to the South Pole. MP3 player.

You can download it free (and several other explorer's journals) from librivox.org.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
BrianF
Topix Regular

Re: Antarctic Journal

Post by BrianF »

If you are interested in Antarctic travel read Cherry-Garrard's "The Worst Journey in the World" - Well written account of Scott's expedition to the south pole
Wow, those guys were beyond tough in the conditions they experienced with the gear they had.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I generally listen to books while on the treadmill. So I look for audible books. I like the librivox site because they are free and I'm cheap. I'll look for the Cherry Garrard book through the local library system.

Hard copy books are my choice at night.

I listened to Shackleton's journal and was awed at how he held his crew together when they were stranded. He maintained control and leadership through the entire struggle without a single loss of life. I listened to it over a couple of weeks while commuting on the bus to work. The morning temps while waiting at the bus stop were single digits (a few days below zero) and I was listening to the Antarctic winter epic...
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by gdurkee »

All great choices. The classic Shackleton book is Endurance, which I think is the one you're referring to. Probably THE epic of survival anywhere.

Amundsen's is The Last Place on Earth (which I think also appeared under the title Scott & Amundsen) by Roland Huntford. Classic contrast between the preparation and attitudes of these guys. Amundsen trying to adapt to polar travel using Inuit technique; Scott attempting to crash his way through using natural British superiority. The latter didn't go so well.

Huntford's was also made into a 3 (?) part series on PBS -- can probably still be found.

Nothing like sitting in a warm cabin with the tea pot burbling and reading Shackleton claw his way over the glaciers on South Georgia Island after a thousand mile open boat epic. To quote one of the Norwegian whalers when Shackleton and crew finally stumbled into their station "These are men!" (itself an awesomely written scene).

g.