Pine Creek TH to French Canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tightline
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Pine Creek TH to French Canyon

Post by tightline »

I made the hike up to pine pass last year--and into Humphrey's, with my daughters (25 & 30) and wife. I've told other people this and most think I'm nuts...but if I get to a trailhead in the afternoon or evening, I do not spend the night there. I start hiking. As far as pine pass goes I just think it's the way to do it. With a headlamp you can't miss the trail. It's not dangerous. It's a road in there. You can knock off the 1st 2200 feet in the evening and I think you can chug along easier in the night air. If you are coming out that way you'll see the country on the way back. If not, as far as Pine goes I can stand missing the scenery on that first leg to be up 2200 (or whatever it is to just below lower Pine Lake) feet because when I get up in the morning (and now you can feel fine about sleeping in a little), I am glad I bit that off. There is too much fine country above that. There is a creek crossing (easy) on a log. At night, after you cross, walk up the trail 50 yards or so for the nice campgrounds on the right of the trail. Flop down, have a cocktail--have two or three, a bowl of soup, and a cigar--because you will be feeling the hike. And...trust me, you will be thankful that you did this when you make make your move to Royce, or Humphreys, or whatever. I can't stress this enough unless you are a very above average hiker. There is no way I would have got my crew in there on day one. They would have cussed me. This puts you into Humphrey's with time to kill and fish,WAY ahead of when you would have otherwise been there. I'm suprised more people don't do it on well established trails. I've been to Edyth 4 different times and every single time, driving from Reno, getting to the trailhead in the late afternoon, I'm up that trailhead 2000-2500 feet, and into Edyth the next day (I've taken a couple of different routes). In my opinion it saves basically an entire day. You can burn a lot of juice hiking those first few thousand feet in the heat. Fatigue can change an intenerary in a hurry...It's funny, everybody thinks I'm nuts (except my son--he is a 100% believer) for doing this because it's just a natural mindset to get the early morning start, really, when you're just hanging around at the trailhead anyway-or getting drunk which makes the next day even tougher.. When you take a break, the stars are spectacular--the night air is a wonderful thing. Plus, skeeters are not nearly as bad at night-the horse crap in the trail isn't as fresh either. I do not recommend hiking at night though if you have tricky creek crossings--and it must be a well established maintained trail... Good luck too you.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The pass I am referring to is directly east of the south point of Roget Lake. When I descended, I traversed the northeast shore of Roget Lake. I am assuming this is Puppet Pass. The pass is part of Ropers High Route, although he is a bit unclear from his description where is the exact loction of the pass. There appears to be another pass east of Pilot Knob to Alsace Lake- but I have not done it. From the same flat (small stream with a meadow) that you cross to get to Puppet Pass, there is also a pass to the northeast that drops to Star Lake. I recall observing from Star Lake that this pass was a bit slabby and cliffy. I have not done it. There also looks to be a possiblitiy north of Desolation lake dropping into Rust Lake. I have not been up there either.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

so, again, where is "puppet pass?"
tightline
Topix Acquainted

Post by tightline »

I forget to address Rlown's question...I assume it's Puppet Pass..I really don't know, but there is an easy pass above Blanc to head over into Desolation, Mesa etc. It's pretty easy to pick out but just be sure as you head up, or down, that you kind of hug the rock wall to the south of the boulder field above Blanc.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

so, again, where is "puppet pass?"
Puppet Pass is also known as Carol Col. It is described in detail in Secor's book. From the south, the pass is approached from Mesa Lake. From there, head up and over the col that leads to the Puppet Lake basin.

Mike
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Thanks Mike and everyone for the answer on Puppet Pass. Maybe i should get the book. I might just change my entry to puppet to North Lake.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Found this pic from a trip report in the area. Makes me feel better about the drop out of Carol Col towards Puppet from North Lake TH.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_picture. ... _id=572632" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Sweet, definately looks more enjoyable than coming down the boulderfield @ star lake. I'll have to find a picture for this thread.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

The decent to Star Lake.

Looking Down

Me coming Down.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Nice pics, Rayfound!! Booked my permit for entry from North Lake for Sept 10th. Can hardly wait. 4 of us going in, over Carol Col, Puppet area for a few days, and then maybe Royce just for grins.

Now, exercise.. sigh.