What maps do you carry?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What maps do you carry?

Post by Mike M. »

I rely on the old 15" U.S. Geological Survey maps (I have an extensive collection). If I plan to travel a new and difficult route, I'll use my TOPO! electronic maps to print out a portion of the route in 7.5" format. I like the Tom Harrison maps when they are available in 15" format (they are durable and updated), but rarely buy them because my trusty Geological Survey maps continue to be servicable. Generally, I find the 7.5" maps to be myopic, way too micro for most purposes. I do not use GPS and waypoints, much preferring the old fashioned paper maps coupled with common mountaineering sense.

By the way, there was a post here (it was moved to the gear board) that talked about a great deal for TOPO! customers to upgrade to new state maps. The idea was that owners of Wildflower Productions TOPO! regional series maps could upgrade to a National Geographic TOPO state series map for only $19.95, plus shipping. When I called, National Geographic told me it wasn't true, the offer did not exist. I wonder if the original poster can shed some light on this. (I posted this on the gear board too but it is not as active as this board.)

Mike
EpicSteve
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by EpicSteve »

I do advance research online at MyTopo.com and also on paper with Tom Harrison and/or NatGeo maps for a good overview. I carry USGS 7.5 minute maps in a large ziploc bag in my pack. I do a lot of off-trail routes and I like the detail of the 7.5 minute series, but sometimes that scale does mean carrying a lot of maps to cover a single trip. I trim the edges off to save weight.

Rarely do I need my trusty 34-year-old Silva Ranger compass, but I carry it on every trip, just in case. It never loses its bearing due to thick forest canopy, steep canyon walls, or a dead battery. But that's a discussion for another thread, I suppose. ;)

I've been thinking about buying NatGeo's California topo map software, but then I'd have to buy a better printer. Time will tell. I'd love the freedom to choose which portion of the map I want to print, rather than being stuck with pre-determined map borders.
“I don’t deny that there can be an element of escapism in mountaineering, but this should never overshadow its real essence, which is not escape but victory over your own human frailty.”

- Walter Bonatti
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Usually carry a Tom Harrison when covering longer distances, but for x-country I feel the detail in them is just too shallow so I'll usually print my own from maps downloaded from USGS. I always love carrying the large scale Tom Harrison's regardless, love spreading it out on a trip and studying the nooks and crannies, identifying peaks and valleys that would take dozens of 7.5: USGS maps to identify.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Been mentioned before, but the Lassen and Plumas NF web sites have topo quads online. pdf files. 8.5x11 so you can print on your home printer (tip: use photo paper for a cleaner image).

From the individual forest web site go to the Maps & Publications section, then Print Quad Maps

These quads have been made for every California NF, but only these two have put them online for public downloading (I haven't checked every NF in a while, if someone finds other forests have done so please post back here).
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Post by Ikan Mas »

Tom Harrison maps all the way. NG maps are hard to read and often leave out important details. The one I bought last year for Mt. Rainieer left out a part of a trail that connects from Crystal Lake to the PCT, an important deail. Even the NPS pamphlets they pass out at the gate showed the connection. Funny, an organization that basically invented the concept of modern maps is such a failure when it comes to current implementation.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Ikan Mas wrote:Tom Harrison maps all the way. NG maps are hard to read and often leave out important details. The one I bought last year for Mt. Rainieer left out a part of a trail that connects from Crystal Lake to the PCT, an important deail. Even the NPS pamphlets they pass out at the gate showed the connection. Funny, an organization that basically invented the concept of modern maps is such a failure when it comes to current implementation.
Very true about the accuracy of USGS quads. I'm not quite sure how old that trail segment is, but something I always check is to see what year a particular quad was last updated. In TOPO! you can simply right mouse click on the display and select properties to see the year.

Harrison maps are choice. I'm just too cheap to buy them.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Sloop
Topix Novice

Post by Sloop »

I guess i just got sold on the NG maps because they cover all areas of the country and one map, unlike the USGS quads, covers the entire area that i'm hiking. For my next trip, which is in the sierras, I'll have to check out those tom harrison maps.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Someone might be able to correct me here, but I 'think' the NG maps are nothing more than cleaned up USGS maps that are stitched together to be seamless. As far as I know, USGS quads have full coverage of the USA. TH maps are a bit different, as I believe he creates most of the features found on the maps from scratch.
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

All maps, regardless of source, are only as accurate as the last update.

The problem with NG maps, or any seamless map set, is the marginal information is removed. So you have no idea when the map was last updated (and which features were updated), which may be a different date from just a few miles away.

I like the marginal information on my maps. Too much valuable information there to just cut off and discard.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

dave54 wrote:All maps, regardless of source, are only as accurate as the last update.

The problem with NG maps, or any seamless map set, is the marginal information is removed. So you have no idea when the map was last updated (and which features were updated), which may be a different date from just a few miles away.

I like the marginal information on my maps. Too much valuable information there to just cut off and discard.
I don't have one of the newer versions of NG TOPO! but on the version I have, you can right-mouse-click anywhere on the map display and bring up "About This Map" from the menu for some of the marginal info. It doesn't provide you with everything hard copy margins contain, but it does at least provide the quad name, map version, year of last update and elevation source/vertical precision info.