East side of White Mountains

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

East side of White Mountains

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Is anyone interested in some exploring on the east side (from Dryer) of the White Mountains in early June? I have done three trips previously and with the higher snow this year, this is a good year to again do the White Mountains. I am planning on a 5-day trip going up the North Fork of Perry Aiken to Perry Aiken Flat, then over to White Mountain and down the South Fork of Perry Aiken. I have accessed Perry Aiken Flat from the north a few years back. This route would be off-trail and quite rough. I do not travel fast, just slow and steady. I plan on about 5-7 miles per day with about 2,000 - 3,000 feet gain per day. There is a LOT of elevation gain on this route and a Class-3 rocky traverse. With the high winds, I have previously had best luck with a bivy sack. Depending on condtions, snowshoes may be needed (although prefer not to).

A problem I now have, is that I have a grandchild due in late June and will be doing "granny duty" for a few weeks, but do not know when. Thus, the timing of the trip would be up in the air until the last minute. I am looking at last week in May or first week in June for the trip. My daughter tends to deliver her babies early, so I may have to dealy the trip until later. I have done previous trips solo, but felt a bit on the edge soloing in the White Mountains, so would prefer to have company this time.

If you are interested, send me a personal message give me your e-mail and I will send you the detailed trip plan.