new sunglasses

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

new sunglasses

Post by oldranger »

Just made my first major purchase of outdoor gear this year. New pair of sunglasses. They are Transitions Driveware. see: http://www.drivewearlens.com/home.php?flashchange=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have progressive prescriptions with a couple other adjustments for my old eyes. But the cool thing is that they go from dark brown in bright sunlight to light amber/green when it is overcast and they are polarized. Scary thing is that with the frames I chose they cost more than my western Mountaineering sleeping bag and my Osprey backpack combined! I'm looking forward to fishing the Sierra with my new specs and my new rod.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: new sunglasses

Post by maverick »

Hi Mike

I have been looking at getting some Transitions since my current pair, which are several
years old, are being held together with some black thread on one side.
When they transition to dark outside are they blocking all of the UV and HEV rays?
This especially important at higher altitudes as you know.
Did your insurance cover any of the cost, or was it all out of pocket?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Maverick,

I think they block most anything but check the website to be sure. Insurance didn't cover these as I also got a standard pair of transitions that I use indoors (my 3rd pair). I probably shouldn't have gotten transitions for my primary lens as the new sunglasses have a much greater range of light than my old polarized sunglasses. Basically if I am outdoors I can be comfortable from sunrise to sunset with the new lenses rain or shine. I know one person who even wears them at night because of how effective they are at cutting glare but that seems not too bright as they still cut out some light and I don't need another buffer between the world and my eyes. I read somewhere recently that old eyes need something like 4x the light of young eyes to see well in low light situations. I guess that is why I seldom drive in the dark any more.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Maverick,

I did a little research and found that:
Yes, drivewear does block blue light. The one negative I have with drivewear is cosmetic. When driving or when out on a warm day, you can see the person's eyes. With that said, visually they are a stunner. In the weakest condition, they make things clearer. In the best condition, they block the sun.
mike
Mike

BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Mike,

Still happy with these? I just noticed that CostCo carries Transitions, so I thought maybe I'd drop by, being in the market for some new dark glasses, and see what I could see. The "Drivewear" is a particular style of Transitions? I suppose I could look this all up on Google...
—B²
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Bill,
i really like them. They are great for gray days. I just finished driving from Bend to Portland to Boise in one day I wore them from the start until almost dark. The polarizing cuts glare on the windshield. And the yellow color in the gray of overcast sky brings out relief. They will not replace glacier glasses however. Even at their darkest your eyes will still be visible to others. But I think they will be fine as I seldom spend much time walking over snow in the summer. I think I posted the link to the web site earlier.

Mike
Mike