I got my JMT permit!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wingding

Post by wingding »

Rosabella - I don't have plans for 8/19, so I could haul some stuff over Kearsarge Pass to you if you want.
Rosabella
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Rosabella »

Wingding, that would be GREAT! :D If you'll pencil this in on your calendar, I'd really appreciate it! I'll PM you as we get closer to summer.

Yeah, Burtonfm, it's difficult trying to co-ordinate two hikers with different styles for a re-supply. I really enjoy a 10-12 mile day, it leaves me time to stop and "smell the flowers" and still have plenty of time to set up camp and explore, relax, do laundry :\ , and anything else I want. Last time I came thru Muir Trail Ranch area I met a couple people and we found the hot springs... was that ever nice! I've heard there are hot springs in the Reds Meadow area, but I've never seen them. Anway...I'm getting off track here, if it works with your schedule that would be SUPER!

I just have a heck of a time fitting all my make-up and butane curlers into my BeariKade and have any room left for food! HA, just kidding!!! :D

Seriously, though, I do find it difficult to get everything in for a week period. Between food, toiletries (toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, lotion, etc), sunscreen, mosquito repellant, chapstick, firstaid kit, and trash (food wrappers. etc), I don't know how you guys say you can cram all that in for longer periods that a week! Anyway, that's why I like (and appreciate) the extra resupply drops. I don't want to deal with inappropriate storage.

Rosie
vaughnm
Founding Member

Post by vaughnm »

Rosabella - A friend and I did the JMT in 2003, but started from Horseshoe Meadows (we didn't get lucky in the lottery). Our attempt to summit Whitney was foiled by the weather, but we did finish the trip. Thought I almost bailed out at Muir Trail Ranch - we did our resupply in one of their buildings during a three hour thunderstorm. The only thing that kept me going was the hour of sun we got after the storm). My brother and I will be doing the trip this time, and I'm trying to talk him into about 17 days (as opposed to 14). We own a cabin outside of Yosemite on Highway 120, so ending in Yosemite seems more reasonable, our spouses are only about 40 minutes away from the valley floor. I'm hoping for wonderful weather this time myself. Looking at the calender we should cross paths somewhere between Silver Pass and Reds Meadow.

Mike
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

I just got my JMT permit today....YIPPEE!!!!!!! Dee
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Great Dee!!!

You sound like me... I can't wait!! What date do you take off? From where?

If you haven't done the JMT before, you're in for a treat! :nod: Good for you!!!

Rosie
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

We are taking off from Tuolumne Meadows...having done the Valley to Tuolumne before....mid Aug. I have not done the JMT. I have hiked portions of it and back and forth across it many many times, but have never done it before. I saw a special on the JMT sitting with my dad when I was 12...in 1965 (yikes!) and wanted to do it ever since. I spend most of my time off trail in the Sierra but am excited to be doing this trail!!!!
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wingding

Post by wingding »

Rosabella - I have my calendar marked for the 19th of August. I'll probably just day hike the stuff over the pass to you. Drop me an email when you get ready to ship the resupply stuff off.

Kathy
wingding@earthlink.net
wingding

JMT

Post by wingding »

Rosabella -

Do you still need a resupply on August 19th?

Kathy
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Hi Kathy!

If you're still available I'd really appreciate it. Bruce is bringing a re-supply in for me at Bishop Pass, but I'll have 9 days from that re-supply - I can't get all my food, toiletries, trash, and anything else that has a fragrance into my bear canister for that length of time.

I still can't understand how anyone can a week's worth of food in a bear cannister and still have room for the rest of the stuff that needs to be in there. I don't know... maybe I'm being over-cautious, but I'd rather be safe-than-sorry ;)

I'm planning on renting a satellite phone, so as soon as I've got the number, I'll pass it on to you. I'll be coming from Rae lakes on the 19th, but I'll be getting up extra early that day so that I can get to Kearsarge Pass early. Let me know what time you think you might be there.

thanks, Kathy... you're great!

Rosie
wingding

Post by wingding »

Rosie - You don't have to come all the way up to Kearsarge Pass. I'm just going to day hike in with the resupply. I can go over the pass and meet you. My hike out will be easy once I give you your resupply.

If you're going to ship the resupply stuff, just email me when you're ready to do it and I'll give you my address and phone number.

Kathy