Yosemite last week

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Yosemite last week

Post by copeg »

Spent the last few days in Yosemite doing the tourist stuff (no backpacking this time). Lots of snow in the valley and above from the last storm. Many of the falls actually had snow around and at the bottom from the mist freezing and falling like snow - pretty cool. Got some shots in while up there:

A few more here
Windwalker
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Windwalker »

Cool shots Trailblazer! Nice shot of Fern Spring.
SteveB
Founding Member

Post by SteveB »

Wow!! Doesn't look like the high country has seen much of a winter from that last shot! :rolleyes:
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

I've taken pics of Fern Spring a number of times. Always fascinated by the water dams behind the fall curtain. For those that haven't noticed a waterfall curtain dam, little Fern Spring is about the easiest place to see one. What happens is the water falling plumb vertical down onto the smooth sloping rock causes water to deflect both below and above where the water curtain hits. Below the curtain, the water just speeds down the smooth rock slope as one might expect. But above the fall the water is blocked by the falling power of the water curtain so becomes dammed up behind it, up to a few inches higher than on the below fall side. Of course the dammed water is all bubbly white.

...David
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Nice shots, trailblazer! :righton:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Well looking like the next 3 days might be the best snow op for YV this winter so I'm heading out on the road towards the valley in a few minutes. Maybe I'll even get a pic of Fern Spring with snow?

...David
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Dave, take some pics for me, I wish SO BAD I could go during this storm but my wife is already overdue with our baby! I think the conditions will be superb for the classic winter Valley shots! I hope you get the best shot of Yosemite ever taken... yet!
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Oh, and nice shots, Trailblazer! I especially like the coyote one!
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Trailblazer...Beautiful pictures thank you for posting them! I love the coyote one...did you see the December 2005 issue of the Sierra Heritage magazine? they have an awesome article on the coyotes of Yosemite Valley with the best pictures of them. :D
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Miss Coyote posed for me too. The beggar was out along the Southside road just east of Yosemite Creek. Was snowing.

Per my above post I did drive up and spent the storm camping with a few other cheap visitors in my tent at Camp 4. Thursday night rained 3/4 inch till about 4am then heavy snow began. By 9am was a foot deep with about 15 to 20 inches in all by 4pm with the CDEC remote gauge showing a full 2 two inches precip while snowing. Everything was plastered, especially all the tree branches and rock walls. Only managed about ten shots with the 4x5 all told as the weather windows opened just briefly. Otherwise too overcast. Shot lots of digi's with my Coolpix and will post more in a couple days after I get my big transparencies back.

...David