TOPO! NatGeo Update Re: Wildflower Productions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
obiwan canoli
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

TOPO! NatGeo Update Re: Wildflower Productions

Post by obiwan canoli »

Note: Also posted in Outdoor Gear Topix

About 10 years ago, I picked up a number of the [former] Wildflower TOPO! programs for various areas of California, i.e., Yosemite, Sequoia, Lassen, Tahoe and others. I used these in tandem with a Garmin 12CX I picked up around the same time, and found both useful and fun. On a few occasions, Wildflower (now National Geographic) provided updates, and updates - though it has been several years - the latest and LAST of which is 2.7.7.

Fast forward to 2010, and I'm now considering a new and updated GPS which, as you might guess, is not supported by the former Regional Series TOPO!, and as well, new GPS' don't support older software, particularly since, in my case, NatGeo discontinued the Regional Series, and now offers a similar, and more feature-laden product (TOPO! California) specific to each state.

I contacted natGeo, initially frustrated at being faced with the prospect of not only the expense of a new GPS, but at having to add to that expense by purchasing a new (not an upgrade) version of TOPO!. I see dollar signs flashing before my eyes. The folks at NatGeo - a guy by the name of Kevin Lance, to be specific - ultimately provided over-the-top service and assistance, making me an offer I couldn't refuse...

Turns out that NatGeo quietly, discreetly, offered an opportunity to former Regional Series users the benefit of receiving the current State Series TOPO! product at the cost of a TOPO! 4 Upgrade Kit - $19.95 + S&H. I had no idea, had never been contacted, and was pleasantly surprised to learn of. This is typically a $99.95 program, and I was informed it was a significant improvement over the former Regionals. Apparently, this program was never discontinued, is still available, and though it's an offer which applies to only ONE State-specific package, it's a steal for anyone wanting to update their topographic software - especially if you have a more current GPS which supports (or is supported by) this software.

If you want to take advantage of this same offer, and are a current/former user of the older Wildflower Productions Regional Series TOPO!, I suggest you contact Kevin Lance, Customer Service Supervisor, NatGeo Maps at 1-800-962-1643 x100 and tell him I sent you. He'll provide you over-the-top service as well!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TOPO! NatGeo Update Re: Wildflower Productions

Post by ERIC »

Hi obiwan. To avoid redundancy, I'm going to lock this thread and link to the one you created in Outdoor Gear Topix.

Nice to see you posting on here again.

viewtopic.php?f=15&p=29918#p29918" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix