Yosemite Snow Camping

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
SkagetMuir
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Yosemite Snow Camping

Post by SkagetMuir »

I assist in a wilderness skills class at the Santa Rosa Junior College and last weekend we went to Yosemite.
We left early friday morning with the intent of coming home sunday.
Ariving at Badger Pass, we traveled up Glacier Point Road turning off towards Dewey Point.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pi ... 2025513726" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The views were beautifull and the Snow was Intense. We decided to stop about half way to Dewey point to allow for enough time to dig in prior to being pumled from the looming storm.
Our plan was to make Dewey point a day hike the next day. We ended up spending most of the afternoon digging our snow shelters and preparing for the worst. The forcast called for 60 mile per hour winds with 2-4 feet of snow possible.
We ended up with Thunder, Lighting 2+ feet of snow and half of the classes tents collapsing half way through the night. Unfortunately the trip ended up being shortened and we came home. Saturday :( .

I loved the weather and would have loved to stay. I look forward to another trip this weekend to Point Reyes.
"Everyone is different, likes doing different things, but we all go to the back country for a reason, it's what we do with that reason that counts."
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Yosemite Snow Camping

Post by rlown »

Sounds like a great learning experience. One can't appreciate your pics unless they have a facebook login. Not sure if you can open those up for general access, or if you even want to.

Russ
SkagetMuir
Topix Acquainted

Post by SkagetMuir »

Sorry about that. I have the bug fixed. The the photos are now viewable.

Yes it was a learning experience for alot of people. When your warned on a previouse trip by the instructors that the tent you posses will not stand up to snow. Listen to them. Also know the weather that is coming your way to prepare.
"Everyone is different, likes doing different things, but we all go to the back country for a reason, it's what we do with that reason that counts."
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

A friend and I bailed last weekend for a trip off of Echo Summit, he later sent me a post from a group that went in for a night. They got blasted pretty good by driven snow, fell over drifts etc.. We are old enough that we didn't need to prove anything. Better weather coming up.
Piece of cake.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi SkagetMuir

Sounds like a great learning experience that ended safely, to bad the photo's
are still not be accessed.
SkagetMuir
Topix Acquainted

Post by SkagetMuir »

hikerduane wrote:We are old enough that we didn't need to prove anything. Better weather coming up.

Im sure there were many groups who under estimated that storm and we all should have known better. I love the winter months but Im definetly ready for the summer time weather to hit.

BTW here is a better link to the photos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/skagetmuir/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Nice photos, lovely after a good dump isn't it? Our NorthCA Hiking group has been in storms before when the forecast wasn't too bad. Eight of us made it thru a very high wind storm with two feet of snow overnight. The wind kept the snow off the shelters mostly, but damaged a couple of our tents. My summer tent suffered a couple slightly bent poles, in my effort to prevent damage, I was holding up the poles with my feet and hands and was getting pushed off my mattress by gusts. Then we had to shovel a trail to the highway when we got back to the parking lot, to get our rides out, that took all morning and afternoon. I thing the Sierra Club took the bunch out at Echo Summit.
Piece of cake.
SkagetMuir
Topix Acquainted

Post by SkagetMuir »

hikerduane wrote:Nice photos, lovely after a good dump isn't it?
Thank You. Yes it is beautiful after a good snow storm. I have always loved the trees loaded with snow. If you saw the video I posted it was darn quiet. Just the way I like it. :D
hikerduane wrote: My summer tent suffered a couple slightly bent poles, in my effort to prevent damage, I was holding up the poles with my feet and hands and was getting pushed off my mattress by gusts.

Sounds like a great night sleep #-o
If you need a replacement summer tent I highly recomend the Eureka Back country. Awsome tent. Bullet Proof.

Luckily Badger pass parking lot was plowed. Other then a couple of feet infront of the vans we had minimal digging once we got back.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I am trying to keep up with tents. I have been spending some of my tax refund on some vintage and antique stoves. I guess I am so old now, that they interest me. I'll have a little time to tinker before the snow melts and I can do stuff around the yard again besides shovel snow.
Piece of cake.
SkagetMuir
Topix Acquainted

Post by SkagetMuir »

hikerduane wrote: I guess I am so old now, that they interest me.
Theres no getting old theres just getting Wise.
What better way to keep busy then to tinker with backpacking gear. What kind of stoves are you finding? Anything interesting?