5-6 day loop in September

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 5-6 day loop in September

Post by markskor »

The Other Tom wrote:Hey Markskor,
I'm interested in the shortcut from Merced to Sunrise. Are you talking about going via the Mansfield "peaks" ?
They swore me to secrecy when showed the way...lol...I could show you, but then... [-X
Yes, does cross near the peaks.
Mountainman who swims with trout
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Dreamer,
"The 1st hike would involve going to Clouds Rest (which I would be keen on doing) from Tuolomne (Cathedral Lakes trailhead ) with an overnight near Sunrise Lakes; then hike and set up the tent near Clouds Rest, go the top and sleep at the base overnight; exit maybe to Tioga Road by Tenaya Lake and shuttle back to Tuolomne (or to start from Tioga Road and do the reverse). So 2 nights/3days…"

While the Clouds Rest portion is a great route, you sure you want to attempt this entire segment in 2 nights/ 3 days as your first Yosemite hike?
Maybe it is just me getting old, but this itinerary you mentioned is mostly uphill and a bit rugged... recommend adding a day as there is that pesky 9,000 - 10,000 elevation thing to consider, and that by itself, first time/day out, makes your plan optimistic at best. Tuolumne to Cathedral, then on to Sunrise in one day would seem to be a long trail day even if you had your mountain legs...why?

Stay over at Upper Cathedral first night and then on to Lower Sunrise the next...a much more enjoyable way to see Yosemite. Then you could do the CR thing and still be back to Tenaya that night after camping at/near Clouds Rest...3 nights/4 days. BTW, illegal now to sleep atop Clouds Rest -(plenty of room and best views in the park) but still done frequently. Just do not mention this part when picking up permits...will be denied. Don't ask - don't tell.

FYI, there is a fisherman's trail just east of Tenaya...up the falls - maybe 2 miles total - Lower Cathedral is just on top...lunch, and a nice hike to the south end of Upper Cathedral makes a good first day's trek.
Just my 2¢

BTW, thanks for the kind words about my Solo Backpacking exploits.
Mark
dreamer1
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by dreamer1 »

Thanks again for your valuable input -- I'm pushing 50 so my knees (among other things) are not what they used to be when I could sometimes climb with reckless abandon -- and it would not be the first time hiking realities interfere with my dreamy plans... I saw hiking from TM to Sunrise as a common hike with a good pack (although I may have wrongly assumed they typically start up the Cathedral trailhead…) and was maybe also trying to fit in too much inside our 1-week window. But it is true that we will not be used to the elevation yet and ultimately, we prefer to ease into this and just have a nice time enjoying the sites. Your suggestion makes a lot of sense given what we are looking for… and then we do have other loop to Townsley/Ireland/Lyell Canyon.

Not sure I follow where the fisherman's trail just east of Tenaya actually is and how it hooks up with Cathedral but am awaiting a more detailed map then what I have and that may help me better visualize where it heads.

Given that I certainly do not want to leave our extra food (to be uses on our 2nd loop) in the car… can we store it in a bear box at the Tuolomne campground for a few days while we are away on the first mini-loop? Other options?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

dreamer1 wrote: Given that I certainly do not want to leave our extra food (to be uses on our 2nd loop) in the car… can we store it in a bear box at the Tuolomne campground for a few days while we are away on the first mini-loop? Other options?
Not to put too much of a negative spin on this, but since the bear boxes are pretty much open to the public, not allowed to apply a lock and communal, anything you put in one (esp in TM or at major trailheads) might just walk away in your absence. We do put all our extra stuff in a couple different bear boxes at trailheads on our trips, so if badness happens, we might lose at most, half our stuff.

We had food and interestingly enough, a pair of sneakers mysteriously disappear over a couple different trips from various lockers. Definitely do not leave any smelly items in your car; and nothing in plain sight.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You could rent a canister at the TM wilderness office, and stash it, and tag the
location in your gps, if you carry one.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Dreamer,
You can do Clouds Rest as a lollypop...same trail in and out - just starting at Tenaya trailhead as planned. Overnights at Lower Sunrise and CR area...back to your car in Tuolumne third night, or perhaps all the way back down to the Valley after CR instead...(all downhill - poles advised though - knees!) and using the YARTS 5:00 evening bus to get you back to Tuolumne.
Drop me a PM if you need any more help.
Mark