5-6 day loop in September

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dreamer1
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

5-6 day loop in September

Post by dreamer1 »

Now that our kids are getting older, my hiking buddy and I (approaching 50 but reasonably fit) meet up about twice a year to backpack in various places for a week or so at a time. After spending the last two years exploring the Grand Canyon (4 nights each time with 45 lb packs), we are now looking forward to wonderful Yosemite. I have read many informative posts from this site and other sources and have narrowed down the possibilities for a 5 or 6 day loop trip leaving from TM but would like your input keeping in mind that a) we will be there in early September (right after Labor day), b) we wish to camp in spots with nice views but stick close to trails for hiking, c) would like to have a ‘leave the tent here’ day or two along the way where we can stay put and explore the area or peaks nearby, and d) we love lakes. Hiking with bear cannisetrs in our packs will be a 1st for us but we awaiting news for possible meals at Sunrise HSC which would be nice and lessen our load somwehat.

If no meals at Sunrise HSC:
Day 1: Leave Cathedral Lakes trailhead near TM and hike a bit past the Sunrise High Sierra Camp area
Day 2: Hike to Merced Lake HSC via the trail that goes thru Echo Creek.
Day 3: Hike to Bernice Lake via the Lewis Creek trail or to Townsley via the Fletcher trail
Day 4: Explore area around Bernice Lake or Townsley (e.g., Hanging Basket)
Day 5: Bernice Lake to Evelyn Lake via Vogelsang HSC
Day 6: Hike back to TM via Lyell Canyon

If meals at Sunrise:
Day 1 : TM to Townsley (or Fletcher) via Rafferty Creak
Day 2: Stay at Townsley and day hike about, including to Hanging Basket
Day 3: Townsley to Bernice Lake passing by Vogelsang, set up tent and go explore without the backpack (or is it better to head to Merced via Fletcher and take a stop day elsewhere along the way?)
Day 4: Bernice Lake to Merced Lake area
Day 5: Merced Lake to Sunrise Lakes area (and 'real' meal)
Day 6: Exit to TM via the JMT

Any suggestions/comments or alternate routes (espeically on spots to spend a 'backpack-free dayhiking day or 2) would be greatly appreciated!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 5-6 day loop in September

Post by rlown »

are you going to fish or enjoy the area?
dreamer1
Topix Acquainted

Post by dreamer1 »

We will not be fishing; the lakes are just for visual enjoyment (like the mighty mountains!). The 'off' day or 2 we would like to include are really to stay put tent-wise and explore the area at our own pace without lugging our full packs. In past multi-day hikes, we really appreciated these unstructured days and so did our knees :-) I also want to be more on the safe side in terms of hiking distances given the altitude factor (we will be arriving 2 days earlier and plan to sleep 2 nights at TM with some day hiking prior to heading out for the loop) but 7-10 mile days with a break or tow should be ok. We plan to return the following year so we can always try something harder/longer then (this is the approach we have taken in places like the GCanyon).

Thanks again.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok, Here's what you might see on the East side of the area you're planning on. I've no idea about bernice, but others have been there.

Here's a pic of the of the approach into Evelyn from vogelsang. Note we always cut the corner out of rafferty because, well, we don't like going through the HSC and it's way shorter.
HPIM0039.JPG
Here's a pic looking down from the lip of HB towards Townsley. Note that when we stay at Evelyn, we walk right from Evelyn across that plateau on the right to Townsley:
DSC01717.JPG
And here's a pic of HB.
HPIM0085.JPG
Hope this is of any use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dreamer1
Topix Acquainted

Post by dreamer1 »

Yes it is of help -- has me dreaming already, especially the shot of HB - wow! Little question: my hiking partner dislikes leaving trails (fear of getting lost even if with someone with reasonable orienting skills). How easy is it to cut across the plateau as suggested (with map and compass?)
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

the plateau is easy. you go to the SouthWest side of Evelyn, then up where the inflow stream is. it's about 300' vertical. You can see the HB canyon next to fletcher at when you get up on the plateau; do not go up to HB if the weather sucks, as you will have really, really bad winds, snow, sleet (well we had it all in this trip, but we go after sept 15th.) Depending on where you want to stay (east or west), you go that direction when you're on the plateau. There are existing campsites on the west end, but we stayed on the East behind a big rock. HB is all class 2 at least to get up; there is no trail; follow the drainage up and stay in the drainage. don't go right; loose scree and worse.

Pretty place. I tend to revisit it every other year.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Hi Dreamer,
Couple of thoughts:
The trail to Voglesang from Tuolumne - when at Tuolumne Pass (or whatever the pass is just 1/2 mile before Voglesang HSC), leave the trail at the 10,000 ft pass sign and head Southeast up directly to Fletcher...like said before, an easy 300 feet of elevation and the trail (Evelyn - Fletcher - HSC) is right there on top. Good sites abound. That last 1/2 trail mile up to Voglesang is a roller coaster of a joke and actually takes you away from where you want to go. A nice day trip then could include HB and Ireland too...easy X-country...lot of use trails too along the lakes and you cannot get lost. BTW, I did not find barren Evelyn that enjoyable.
If fishing, then I would definitely go Bernice; Voglesang Pass is amazing...Voglesang Peak is only a 1/2 hour side trip too... but since you are not...either trail down to Merced will suffice...FYI, Emeric and Boothe are nice too.

Food/meals also available at the Merced HSC...chef John there a friend...bigger than Sunrise and food is excellent. Maybe an extra day there (two food nights) and a day hike to Washburn?

Merced to Sunrise the next day...(BTW, the standard fee for an employee to haul a full pack to Sunrise from Merced HSC is $150 but there are shortcuts used here that only the locals know...saves a few hours if interested.)

The trail up through Echo to Sunrise is a bit of a mother...2000 ft elevation to gain back...be prepared.
Sounds like a great trip!
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

Hey Markskor,
I'm interested in the shortcut from Merced to Sunrise. Are you talking about going via the Mansfield "peaks" ?
dreamer1
Topix Acquainted

Post by dreamer1 »

Thanks for the heads-up and advice markskor!

I know about the food options at the other camps along the way and have no doubts about the yumminess of cook John’s grub, but from what I read Vogelsand and Merced close down on Labor day and we will be heading up right after. Now to add to options, it has been suggested that we consider 2 shorter backpacking trips instead of 1 longer one and to skip Merced.

The 1st hike would involve going to Clouds Rest (which I would be keen on doing) from Tuolomne (Cathedral Lakes trailhead ) with an overnight near Sunrise Lakes; then hike and set up the tent near Clouds Rest, go the top and sleep at the base overnight; exit maybe to Tioga Road by Tenaya Lake and shuttle back to Tuolomne (or to start from Tioga Road and do the reverse). So 2 nights/3days…

The 2nd would be part of the original idea, that is Tuolomne to Townsley or Fletcher via Rafferty Creak; stay around Townsley and day hike about, including to Hanging Basket, maybe further up Fletcher Creek; then cut across to Ireland for another overnight and xploration about; hike out via Lyell Canyon. 3 nights/4 days.

As much as I like the whole loop idea (I love getting away for longer stretches) this also has its own appeal, especially knowing that we will be coming back (maybe for a challenging loop in the Clark range) the following fall… One thing though I was not sure about is if we can store our food for our ‘2nd leg’ in a bear box at the Tuolomne campground while we are away on the first mini-loop. Once again, thank you for your helpful comments. Oh yeah, also interested in the shortcut bewteen Merced and Sunrise!
dreamer1
Topix Acquainted

Post by dreamer1 »

PS: markskor -- I forgot to mention; those solo backpacking adventure reports are truly great reads... great thread!