Kaweah Basin questions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Kaweah Basin questions

Post by LMBSGV »

Once again, thanks for all your replies. My wife kids me when she sees me looking at pictures, Google Earth, and reading the descriptions that since I already know so much I don’t need to go there. I considered the Tablelands route and decided I want to do that as a separate trip. I want to be able to really linger instead of rushing (relatively speaking) through. I really appreciate the Buck Creek heads up for the first night. I noticed the bear box on the SEKI listings, but they also suggest 9 Mile Creek for a first night so I was leaning towards that until now. When I camped at Precipice Lake in 2004, the view down to Hamilton Lakes enthralled me and I vowed to hike it one day so I’m looking forward to that section with a lot of anticipation. It’s good to know about the talus around Lake 11682. I had an intuitive suspicion that might be the case, which is why I want to get to near that point the second day. I hike rather slowly these days through talus. Turning left from Pyra-Queen is the way I saw it from photos, but when I get to places, I have an annoying tendency to try and go more directly. Now I know I should maintain my patience and take it easy instead of hurrying my way down.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The view towards the Kaweah ridge from Kaweah Gap can be very impressive at sunset
especially if your lucky enough to get clouds coming up the Big Arroyo.
I have been looking at the area between the Lippincott Mtn, and Mt Eisen area
which is about centered, and across from Kaweah ridge.
With the right conditions it would make for a gorgeous panorama, but getting
thunderstorms to partially clear an hour before sunset, clouds to fill the Big Arroyo, all
turning blood red, at the same time is a very rare thing, even rarer would be there
witnessing it, but I can dream.
I have been at the Gap when the clouds had filled the Big Arroyo, and Nine Lakes Basin.
The clouds would part for 2-3 seconds giving a great view of the Kaweahs, and then
disappearing again, this would go on for several min's, it was quite a surreal site.
I was without a camera which was vexing to say the least, but at least I could see
the cloud element to my photo was possible.
I have also witnessed the entire range turn red, and crimson after thunderstorms at
sunset, so I have seen the other elements of the vision at different times just not together
at the same time.
Getting a good shot of the eastern side of the Kaweah Ridge is just as tricky since you
will need several condition to exist at the same time to make it an extraordinary photo
but this is the case for most photos.
My ideal case would be a clearing storm again, but this time the emphasis is on the the
cloud colors, and just allowing the ridge to be a dark silhouette, or the same clouds but
sunrise colors lighting up the range from the east, and using the small lakes near
the base of the range for reflections of the colors.
I wish I could get the sunrise I got at Lake Ediza last year, while in KB, but this was
one of those sunrises that was a show stopper, and does not happen very often.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Maverick, your description of the light and clouds and the Kaweahs is gorgeous. I noticed the quality of light on the Kaweahs in 2003 when I visited 9 Lakes Basin, Precipice Lake (where I got lucky with the light for about 5 minutes), and especially my final night at the upper Little Five lake. That evening, the clouds turned a wondrous crimson over the Kaweahs. I ran with my tripod and camera to the overlook over the lower lake to get a photo. I got two off before the light changed. The results were one of the main things that convinced me to get a grad neutral density filter and a telephoto lens. And this was nowhere near as amazing as what you describe. This is one reason I’m now rather obsessed with getting into the basin for an extended time this summer.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
pilgrim
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by pilgrim »

Hello All,

A question: If I go over Pants Pass from W to E and would like to head down Picket Creek, what is a good route to get from the base of Pants Pass (East side) to Picket Creek? From the maps it looks best to head S/E from the large lake closest to the eastern base of Pants Pass, up past two smaller lakes to a saddle and over the saddle into the Picket Creek drainage, but I have not been there and maybe there is a better route.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Pilgrim
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Pilgrim

Welcome to HST.
That is the route I took, though it is time consuming because of the rocky terrain, but
the beauty of the Picket creek drainage is worth all the work.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

This is the route I took. This is not saying it is the best or only route.
pilgrim
Topix Newbie

Post by pilgrim »

Thank you very much, Maverick.

I am planning to follow the route you suggested on your posting of 2/22/10 at 1:24PM, that is: over (W to E) via Pants Pass and then, after the Picket Creek drainage, the lakes near Red Spur, then to Kaweah Basin, and back out (E to W) over Pyra-Queen Col.

Pilgrim

PS It is really quite amazing, having access to someone with your knowledge and obvious love of the mountains and this area in particular. Thanks again!
pilgrim
Topix Newbie

Post by pilgrim »

Thank you, Wandering Daisy. I had not noticed Picket Guard Pass. The large lake 1/2 way between the eastern foot of Pants Pass and Picket Guard Pass might be a good camp spot too.

Pilgrim
pilgrim
Topix Newbie

Post by pilgrim »

WD,

Thanks, too, for posting the fine map with the route!

Pilgrim
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Your welcome Pilgrim, and thank you for your kind words, I am here to help whenever
I can.