Need to get on a loop trail the same day from LA

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hikermum
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Need to get on a loop trail the same day from LA

Post by hikermum »

Because of time constraints, we need to drive from LA and get on the trail the same day.
We did this last summer in Mineral King but want to do something different. We need suggestions for a loop trail 6 day hike, 8-10 miles/day for experienced backpackers. Not interested in off trail cross country. Did the high sierra loop in Yosemite 2 years ago and loved the scenery. A loop trail suites us best. Thanks for any suggestions.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Re: Need to get on a loop trail the same day from LA

Post by The Other Tom »

Welcome to HighSierraTopix !
iCharlie has been on some good loops. Also see the suggestions by Maverick. Click on the link below
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4814" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

I'm always coming from LA and am usually able to get a pretty good day of hiking in on that driving day. From the Los Angeles area, the Horseshoe Meadows road trailheads are as little as 3hrs away and have quite a few options. If you search for Cottonwood Lakes or Cottonwood Pass you'll get plenty of ideas.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Many eastern sierra trailheads are a relatively easy drive from LA and you can be on the trail in the same day. When I lived in LA I'd often spend the morning driving and the afternoon hiking. Do look at the other thread Tom linked to for great suggestions. For the time and mileage constraints you mentioned, the North to South Lake loop is doable and beautiful, although can get a bit crowded. Its a pseudo-loop in that it requires a short car shuttle (hitching a ride between the two could be easy though).
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

In my opinion the best one is the Rae Lakes Loop out of Kings Canyon. The scenery is outstanding. The hiking seems perfectly suited to your requirements, The drive up must be started early. There is even some fishing if your interested. Email me about the fishing. jackthomascarter@gmail.com