Great Excitement: Sierra Nature Notes back online

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Great Excitement: Sierra Nature Notes back online

Post by gdurkee »

I take a short break from my untiring defense of froggies at The Fishing Hole to cheerfully announce that Sierra Nature Notes is, at long last, back online. It's been down for a year due to assorted glitches. My former sponsor, Yosemite Association, ultimately decided not to carry it anymore, but I've moved it to a new web host:

http://sierranaturenotes.com

So if you want to read up on all the exciting research being done in the Sierra -- froggies, water quality, salmon disappearing, tornadoes at 11,000 feet -- check us out.

g.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Great Excitement: Sierra Nature Notes back online

Post by rlown »

Thanks,

A nice read. Looks to be a PhD fest..
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular

Post by Bad Man From Bodie »

Ahh George, it’s good to take a breather from the fishing hole, but don’t worry I’ll be back there shortly.

This is great stuff. I especially like Derlet and Ger’s Algae in the Sierra Nevada Wilderness. Naturalist Notebook- Field Notes- great idea, Sierra Nevada Bird Project- great! I hope everyone checks this site out!

Very cool, thanks very, very, much indeed!
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Naturalist Notebook- Field Notes- great idea, Sierra Nevada Bird Project- great!
Thanks. If anyone here has cool wildlife or other natural history observations, send them to me and I'll publish it. Photos (nice, but not required) and location and a brief description.

Also, I've been talking to the guys writing the new Sierra Birds field guide. They've also likely been dropped by Yosemite Association, who were going to publish their book. But they've agreed to send me a bunch of the great watercolors of birds Keith Hansen is doing as well as a description for each bird. I'll publish those in the "Featured Species" section of the Project site. With luck, I'll update it ever 3 or 4 weeks.

I'll post a note when that happens.

g.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Looks great George. I am looking forward to the addition of the bird additions
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Well done, George.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Campers:

Bad Man from Bodie was the first to weigh in to Naturalist's Notebook with a wildlife observation and photos. Check it out:

http://sierranaturenotes.com/naturenote ... tebook.htm

Always looking for fun stories & keen observations, so don't be afraid to send stuff in.

Thanks,

George
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Nice site George, full of interesting Sierra stories, and I to am looking forward to
the bird additions, thanks.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Keep bringing-on the geology, great work.
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular

Post by Ozark Flip »

Wonderful reads so far. I took in the algae and salmon topics. One thing remissed from the depleted salmon runs are the sea lions. They have played an important role in this demise. Ever since they were federally protected, their numbers have exploded and many cannot understand why they remain protected. Years ago you would never see a sea lion in the delta but now, they are all the way up the rivers. They put a SERIOUS hurt on the salmon numbers.

This is truely wonderful stuff and I am very thankful for the reading. Years ago I would take a newspaper to work and read during my lunch break. Now the computer has taken it's place. This kind of stuff is exactly what I choose for lunch time enjoyment. Thank you George!

Flip