Snow Peak LiteMax canister stove

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Snow Peak LiteMax canister stove

Post by ERIC »

I'm in the market for a new 3-season stove. Only saw brief mention of the LiteMax in other threads; just wondering if anyone here has one and if they're happy with it.

Love the weight, and the price isn't too bad either.

Is there another canister stove I should be looking at instead?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Re: Snow Peak LiteMax

Post by markskor »

Eric,
Price is good and weight is amazing, but...
I prefer a remote canister (5 oz heavier) that sits lower and thus has better stability...
Wind issues, ease of tipping, ability to cook trout, and being able to invert the canister - all come into play here.
just my 2¢
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
ERIC

Re: Snow Peak LiteMax

Post by ERIC »

markskor wrote:Eric,
Price is good and weight is amazing, but...
I prefer a remote canister (5 oz heavier) that sits lower and thus has better stability...
Wind issues, ease of tipping, ability to cook trout, and being able to invert the canister - all come into play here.
just my 2¢
Mark
That's a good point about the stability issue. Wind is something that I am concerned about, but curiously enough, hadn't given much thought to as it relates to stability. I read somewhere that wind can be an issue trying to keep the LiteMax lit, and more importantly, burning efficiently. Was planning on also picking up a GigaPower Windscreen (which not surprisingly, itself weighs more than the stove) if I were to purchase the LiteMax.

It's a bit more expensive and heavier option (~7oz), but how about the MRS WindPro?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
trav867
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Snow Peak LiteMax canister stove

Post by trav867 »

I use an MSR pocket rocket (3oz)that works just fine. I pretty much only use the stove for boiling water, so stability isn't a huge issue, but I always buy the wider 4oz MSR (or similar) canisters rather than the snow peak giga style narrow and taller ones.

I carry a piece of aluminum foil for a windscreen- I know that with canister stoves it's important to block the wind for efficiency but also to keep the screen far enough away from the stove (probably even just a few inches) that heat doesn't build up around the canister.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

"How about the MSR WindPro?"
My current choice for 3-season camping. I like that the tightly enclosed windscreen does not surround the canister, thus preventing the canister from absorbing heat like on the pocket-rocket types..
On cold days, inverting the canister helps in increasing pressure...rock solid stable too.

FYI, I cooked OldRanger's 3-pound lunker over it using my 10-inch titanium fry pan...Individually seasoned slabs of meat, oiled and spiced, wrapped in tin foil...exceptional!
Try that with a top-of-canister stove.

Oh, the folding stove easily fits in my cooking pot, along with my spinning reel, potholder, scrubber, bic lighter, and bear rope.
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Eric

I too use the Pocket Rocket, and have not have had any major issues with it, and
there are plenty of rocks to use as a wind block.
It also depends on what you are cooking, if you need something more than just
for boiling water quickly for a freeze dried meal, than get something else.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Young Grasshopper, check out burner head size and shape too. Some are designed for different sized pots. BTU output may or may not be a factor. I see the Litemax puts out 10% more btu's than their other stoves. I have the Pocket Rocket too, I usually only boil a small amount of water, so stability isn't an issue, but maybe should be a consideration if cooking other things.?

I seemed to have gotten the spending bug out of my system by picking up a WM Vapor jacket on Ebay and a baby chainsaw for limbing. May get to try out the jacket on a 2 night trip to Desolation in a few weeks. Have fun shopping young man.:)
Piece of cake.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Any reason there seems to be a preference to canister stoves vs. dual fuel stoves? Just asking; might have been covered before. What happens to the canister when you're done with it?
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Mostly into the landfill.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I did a brief search on disposing nonrefillable gas canisters. some sites suggest puncturing the can first, then taking it to a recycle station. I am not sure that is a good idea. I also read that REI will take your canister back and dispose of it properly with out first being pierced. I visited their website but could not find this offering, however, I do not doubt the claim, their return policy is very liberal and responcible.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien