Life in the BIG Mountains

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
Bearlover
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Life in the BIG Mountains

Post by Bearlover »

I have lived in the flood plain, the hills and mountains of Santa Cruz. Have basked in the pacific ocean a time or two.
Yet nothing compares to my feet in the waters of a high Sierra stream even for a second!
There is magic at work up there...
The light is different, the climate is unreal, the fauna is uncaged, and my spirit is as well...
In those mountains of light I can be myself and slip beyond the grasp of time itself.. I look around and find myself in the Iceage past..
Wide eyed I watch the sun chase the clouds.. feel the afternoon breeze and dream I am part of the solid granite face of a mountain peak.
Light and shadow dance and all the while I am in stunned amazement at it all... granite, rock and tree.. all around me.
There is a quality to the light that is impossible to convey in words.. a scent upon the air that is unknown to the city streets..
Up there I am transformed into a creature of pure appreciation.. unbound by convention.. I can stop and be filled with a flower without guilt.
To spend an hour, day or week is to be humbled by the grace of he shear mass of this place..
Everywhere is life, in the rocks and trees and the very air.
I go there, unashamed, humbled and in awe... Yet continues to beckon with sweet remorse an everlasting promise of a new High Sierra Morning.
There is a Bear.. Where? Over there!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Beautiful! :cool:
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Very nice, Bearlover!! You've perfectly expressed the reason why we go up there. Thanks! :)
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Bearlover, Thank you for sharing this! So beautifully said & so very true.
Just lovely, Thank you again!
AldeFarte
Topix Regular

Post by AldeFarte »

Bearlover, we have common ground. Very appropriate sentiments. jls