Consuming enough calories

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Haiwee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Consuming enough calories

Post by Haiwee »

Have been refining this one for years; I think it's now close to perfection. Taste pretty good and loaded with nutrients: 648 calories per bar, 16 grams protein, 85 grams carbs, 34 grams fat, 7 grams fiber and just a bit over 8mg of sodium. I usually eat two per day, so that gets me 1300 calories right there -- and they cost about half as much to make as a Power Bar costs.

Home Made Power Bar (8 bars)
1/4 C. each of: sesame seeds, unsalted raw cashews, unsalted raw peanuts, pine nuts, unsalted almonds, flax seeds and raw unsalted sunflower seeds.
1/2 C. dates (try to find softer ones or risk the wrath of the wife when you destroy her food processor)
1 C. dried bananas
1 C. raisins
1/2 C. dried cranberries
1/2 C. soy protein mix
1 C. Henry’s seven-grain cereal, or one cup rolled oats
1/3 C. maltodextrin
1/2 C. honey
1/2 C. olive oil

Working in batches, grind all dry ingredients in food processor. Combine, then mix in honey and olive oil. Push into greased baking sheet until the mixture is about 1/2 inch thick and bake at 325 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, or until edges have browned. Cool completely before cutting into 8 bars.

You can of course substitute almost any dried fruit to taste, but the ratio of nuts to fruit is just about perfect to make bars that will hold together and not crumble apart. Make sure you grind the stuff well; larger chunks lead to crumbling. I add the maltodextrin and soy protein for an added boost of carbs and protein.
Check out my blog for my take on politics, environment and the outdoors: http://www.haiwee.blogspot.com
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

This looks really good. Thanks!
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

The longest hike I did was 19 days on the JMT in 2008. I had a day off in Bishop
after 10 days and added a few meals at Reds Meadows and Toulumne. I had
no problem with the calorie shortage. We packed about 1.25 pounds of food
a day and our fat reserves made up the rest. I wasn't hungry since I grazed all
day. I think most hikers have periods of calorie shortages for several days made
up by calorie excesses whenever town/resort opportunities become available.
We used to carry 1.5 - 2.0 pounds per person and alway brought home a bunch
of extra dead weight in leftover food.
Jeff
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Hey haiwee

Just curious---you specify unsalted nuts in these bars. Have you tried using salted nuts, or adding a bit of salt? I'm asking because I am a fanatic cyclist, and I find that when I am working hard, I need water AND salt. I've come to appreciate some of the bars that have a bit more salt--and we love a few salted peanuts on the trail, for the same reason.

Your thoughts?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

As noted on the "mountain hunger" thread, I don't have a problem with calorie consumption, but, on the other hand, I make sure I bring a ton of food, and I catch and eat a whole lot of fish. The flip side of this is that I don't really care about carrying a much heavier pack than most carry on long trips. With folks of equal size and strength my pack will weigh in the 50's for a 7-9 day trip and it weighed in the 60's when I went with my wife (who weighs all of 90lbs herself).

I don't have a lot of extra reserve, though, and I found that on some trips, particularly prior to really starting to pile on the food supply in the mid 90's, that if I went into a trip too lean (ie not having a touch extra padding) I'd start to feel it in the latter part of the trip. So, for very serious death marches I'd train like crazy AND intentionally overeat for awhile going into the trip so I'd be carrying an extra 5-10 lbs or so over my usual 5'10" 165lbs. From the late 90's onward though, I've eaten so much on my long trips I haven't bothered with my pre-trip fattening up.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fedak
Founding Member

Post by fedak »

A plastic flask of olive oil is one of the highest calorie/oz food items and can be used as an additive to most prepared dishes.

I'm also a big fan of Moose Goo on Lard based tortillas
http://www.ultralightbackpacker.com/moosegoo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

fedak wrote:A plastic flask of olive oil is one of the highest calorie/oz food items and can be used as an additive to most prepared dishes....
All the plant oils (olive, corn, canola, soybean, peanut, et al) are basically the same -- roughly 7.5 cal/gm. Slight variations among the brand names and method of manufacture, but the difference is negligible. Olive is considered 'healthier' in some respects so many prefer it.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

dave54 wrote:
All the plant oils (olive, corn, canola, soybean, peanut, et al) are basically the same -- roughly 7.5 cal/gm. Slight variations among the brand names and method of manufacture, but the difference is negligible. Olive is considered 'healthier' in some respects so many prefer it.

* CORN: 59% polyunsaturated 24% monounsaturated 13% saturated 6.4:1 unsaturated/saturated fat ratio
* OLIVE: 9% polyunsaturated 72% monounsaturated 14% saturated 5.8:1 unsaturated/saturated fat ratio

Doesn't look the same to me.

(The Wellness Encyclopedia of Food and Nutrition, 1992)
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

The OP is about calories, not lipid composition.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have tracked nutritional content of my backpack food for many years. I always take at least 2,400 calories per day, with about 30%-35% fat, 20% protein, 50%carbs in 1.25 to 1.4 pounds per day. (I weigh 115 pounds and do not have much fat to spare). I can fit 8-9 days food in a Bearikade weekender (this requires very careful consideration of the bulk per calorie- for example all Malt-o-meal instead of oatmeal). On my 34 day Ropers High Route I lost 6 pounds. Last year for the summer in the Wind Rivers I lost 10 pounds over 2 months. So I am not keeping up with calorie output. I COULD eat my required calories, but simply limit my food because I do not want to carry more weight. In the past, when bear cannisters were not required, I would always eat at least one trail bar at night. I no longer do this. I have NEVER had any trouble with back-country appatite! Watch out if you go with me, I will eat all your food too!