Wandering Mountain Goat

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Wandering Mountain Goat

Post by oldranger »

Dry River Canyon, about 18 miles e. of Bend just off Highway 20 will be closed tomorrow for the next several months to enhance raptor nesting. The big attraction of the canyon for the last couple of months has been a Mountain Goat that seems to have made the canyon its home for the winter. This morning Kathy and I decided that we should take a hike and get a glimpse of this creature that must be close to 180 miles from its home range in the Elkhorn Mountains (w. of Baker, OR). So we joined hundreds if not a thousand or more people this beautiful Sunday. There were at least 30 cars at a trailhead designed for a half dozen and people were rotating in and out constantly.
DSC_0086.jpg
It was great to see families out. Sometimes it was clear that there were 3 generations in one party! At any rate about a half an hour in we got our first glimpse of the goat near what appeared to be the north rim of the canyon.
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0014.jpg
After taking a bunch of photos we headed out. The canyon, about 3.5 miles in length, has more going for it than just the goat. It has great old Juniper snags, lots of lichens, and my favorite
DSC_0068.jpg
After returning to the 4 Runner we headed east a couple of miles to a canyon overlook where we discovered that the mountain goat was only about 2/3 of the way to the top of the north rim! Our distance from here was so far away that photos of the goat were not worth sharing. So we headed home and about 12 miles east of Bend we were confronted with this view:
DSC_0108.jpg

A nice day counting down the time for my next Sierra visit. For some action views of the mountain goat on a day it was a little more active see: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashrunner/ ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wandering Mountain Goat

Post by markskor »

Mike,
Nice report and photo essay! :thumbsup:
When I first saw the title though, I thought it was going to be your autobiography, not about a four-footed creature.
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi OR

Thanks, enjoyed the photo's and the write up, pm sent. Mav
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

mark,

Kind of thought you'd say something! Considered really misleading you by titling the report "wandering old goat" but then I have no idea how old the goat is! :p

Mike
Last edited by oldranger on Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I didn't think a real goat was involved too.:)
Piece of cake.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

i'm still wondering why you can get a great pic of a mountain goat with a telephoto, and not of the two nymphs at the lake.. :-k
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Russ,

The ladies were shot with little panasonic, goat was with slr with telephoto. Besides my hands weren't shaking. :o

Mike
Mike

Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular

Post by Bad Man From Bodie »

Got My Goat......