A Version of the Circle of Solitude(Kings Canyon)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SkagetMuir
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: A Version of the Circle of Solitude(Kings Canyon)

Post by SkagetMuir »

Ikan Mas wrote:I would agree with the others that early June might be a bit ambitious for this area given the el Nino year we are having. Note on the recent Pass Pants post that we still had to cross snow on Pants (just a little) the first week of August in 2008, a dry year.

One other consideration is can you get enough food for 12-14 days in a bear canister or will you be taking two? You could hike out to Whitney Portal to restock. Also check out the permitting requirements for Whitney.
Although not approved in all wilderness areas I like to use a bear bag tied to a solid object or hung in a tree. There is allot of controversy with that but I have never had a problem with a bear even trying for my food and I have had them come through my camp. KNOCK ON WOOD
Thank You, I will take a look at the permitting for Whitney. I was going to call and make reservations for my trip within the next few weeks once my plans have solidified a bit more Whitney being one of my questions. I would assume it’s an additional permit.
As for my route I am definitely reconsidering it and am probably going to push it into mid July.
"Everyone is different, likes doing different things, but we all go to the back country for a reason, it's what we do with that reason that counts."
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Lots of good advice here from experienced people. Early season after a wet winter usually means steep snow and ice, postholing and swift dangerous stream crossings. The first encounter with this would be at the Bubbs Creek crossing to East Lake (unless they put in a bridge or got another log over it), for example. Many of us have favorite early season trips that avoid high water and deep snow, and a wet winter complicates this.
If I were a dedicated fisherman, I would enter via Lloyd Meadows TH to Trout Meadows (fishing), on to the Kern River (fishing) to the Ranger Station (fishing on the Kern and at Kern Lakes), on the the Kern Hot Springs (more fishing and you could get there in three days if you were in a hurry). Rattlesnake Creek may not be such a problem by July. From there go up to the head of the Kern for some of the best fishing and most spectacular scenery in the Sierra. From there you can make your way back to Whitney and then various routes back to the TH though the Park and the Golden Trout Wilderness.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

Maybe I didn't read the above closely enough, but the Upper Kern lakes have some very good fishing -- South America; the stream leading out of it and a couple of the nearby lakes. Also take a look at Wallace and Crabtree Lakes.

Everyone here is right about the potential of an El Nino year -- if it is, it'll be a little more of a thrash. Crampons & ice ax (maybe -- you'd have to know how to use one; otherwise ski poles) for Harrison and you might want to avoid Pants Pass.

Also, if your trip originates in Sequoia Kings (Cedar Grove) you don't need a separate permit for Whitney -- if you originate from a USFS trailhead, you do. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you're allowed to go out for a 24 hour resupply on the Whitney trail and back in (or, alternatively, out there and back in Cottonwood to fish Sky Blue).

To a certain extent, you're going to have to be flexible to see what snow conditions are going to be and adjust your trip accordingly. The main trails would be OK, but the cross country passes might be a problem.
Although not approved in all wilderness areas I like to use a bear bag tied to a solid object or hung in a tree. There is allot of controversy with that but I have never had a problem with a bear even trying for my food and I have had them come through my camp.
No controversy. If you're in an area where canisters are required, you can't use the Ursack (I think that's what you mean by bear bag??) tied to a solid object or even counter balanced. Everything in the Bubbs Creek drainage requires canisters or use the boxes. When you go over into the Kern drainage, you can use the Ursack, but only as a counter-balancing bag -- not tied out to a tree or whatever. The Ursack is not allowed to be used (as they intend it) in Sequoia Kings. You can use it as a regular counter-balance bag, though.

George
gg-man
Topix Newbie

Sierra High Route

Post by gg-man »

Another option would be to head north out of Roads end following the Sierra High Route. You can connect up with the JMT using several different passes includingFrozen Lake or the old JMT route over Cartridge Pass There are several lakes including Marion which is the nicest I've been to in the Sierra. Pushing it you can get to the JMT in three days or take as long as you want. This are is extremely remote and we didn't see another person the way. From the JMT you then have countless options to get you back to Roads End. Enjoy.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

You've gotten a lot of good advice form many very knowledgable people. Heed their advice. In my opinion the most imortant of which is GO LATER!. If you're interested in fishing then before deciding where to go you should read "The fishing hole from now to summer, then decide.
SkagetMuir
Topix Acquainted

Post by SkagetMuir »

gdurkee wrote: No controversy. If you're in an area where canisters are required, you can't use the Ursack (I think that's what you mean by bear bag??) George
Yup thats what I meant... Thanks for the info. Problem is I hate those darn bear canisters. Ockward, heavy and they dont fit much. :mad: O'well I guess we do what we got to do.
"Everyone is different, likes doing different things, but we all go to the back country for a reason, it's what we do with that reason that counts."
SkagetMuir
Topix Acquainted

Post by SkagetMuir »

jthomascarter wrote:You've gotten a lot of good advice form many very knowledgable people. Heed their advice. In my opinion the most imortant of which is GO LATER!.
Thank you all for your advice. I will plan my trip a little later in July and change up my route. Ive just always been an early bird avoiding the crouds and thunderstorms that are common in July and August. See you all on the Trail.