Permits required for Half Dome 2010

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Permits required for Half Dome 2010

Post by gary c. »

http://yubanet.com/regional/Yosemite-Na ... Safety.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Permits required for Half Dome 2010

Post by rlown »

For the official Yose park dogma, check out their page from the Yose newsletter sent out yesterday at:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdpermits.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I may be in the minority here, but I think this is a good idea. I no longer recommend this hike to people on busy days, because the crowds are so huge...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

I too agree with quotas for HD, on weekends and perhaps all summer holidays too.

Now if the YNP "Planners" would really think about it, they would also install some sort of toilet facilities above Quarter Dome - where the crowds amass/wait ...(much like the other 2-story crapper at LYV).
Maybe a $5 pp charge for this specific HD permit would cover the maintenance...Much needed.

I would not like to have the Ranger's chore of checking permits though...what a potential mess.
Mountainman who swims with trout
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Seems like a good idea to me as well. May seem like imposing just another restriction, but the mess of hikers one hears about year after year seems it needed to be dealt with, and a permit seems like the most viable option.
Thanks for posting the links and info Gary and Russ
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I so agree with Mark on the need for some sort of toilet facility near HD. When we were there last summer it was disgusting. There didn't seem to be a single bush, tree, or rock that didn't have a half dozen piles of TP or worse behind them. It seemed that 90% of the hikers on the HD trail were day hikers and many didn't even have TP let alone a trowel or even a remote desire to bury anything. It wasn't so bad for us guys but there were 2 women in our group and they were pretty offended.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

I agree with the permits.
Do have to say tho, about 10 years ago I climbed it on 4th of July and was the only one on top!!!! I got to the top about 8 in the morning and had it all to myself (and husband) for about 2 hrs. When the first other people showed...we left!:)
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

A thousand words:
Ants on Half Dome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
—B²
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

We have always done Half Dome as part of a several day trip. It is great to camp
a couple of miles from Half Dome and then just go up at sunset. There are few
people on the cables since most of the day hikers have headed back down.

When I was near the end of my JMT trip in 2008 I was moving fast up the trail
towards Half Dome and noticed everyone stopped and waiting about 25 feet below
the first step. Someone pointed out a 6 foot rattler enjoying the sunshine right
below the first step. It was doing a very good job of crowd control.
RattlerHalfDome.jpg
Jeff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Safety concerns lead to new permit system for Half Dome

Post by ERIC »

Safety concerns lead to new Yosemite permit system for Half Dome cable access
The park will limit access on high-traffic days, requiring reservations at least a week in advance, for a fee of $1.50.

Four fatalities have occurred in the last four years among hikers using the cables atop Yosemite's Half Dome peak. (Brian Vander Brug / Los Angeles Times)

By Christopher Reynolds
LA Times
February 28, 2010
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 1748.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alarmed by crowded conditions and four fatalities in four years at hikers' cables near the top of Yosemite's iconic Half Dome, park officials are implementing steps to cut foot traffic in half on peak vacation days.

They are imposing a temporary permit system that limits summer weekend and holiday foot traffic to 400 people a day at the top of the trail. Instead of simply heading up the mountain, hikers will need to reserve a permit at least a week in advance by Internet or phone and pay a processing fee of $1.50.

That will guarantee access to the 400-foot cables that help most visitors climb to the top from late May through mid-October. The change doesn't [read more...]
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix