Carrizo Plain

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
doug395
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by doug395 »

WW, great images, Carrizo Plains is an amazing place. Looks like you’ve found the Magic Hawk, that’s a powerful image - perfect for you.
AldeFarte
Topix Regular

Post by AldeFarte »

Awesome logo! You're right. The photo doesn't look real. Mountaineer, What a riot of color. Looks like anything in focus in that stuff would be nice. Could be wrong, but that bunnie looks like a young black tail jack. jls
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Great logo! WW! :clapper =D> :clapper =D> :clapper
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Windwalker
Founding Member

Post by Windwalker »

Wow Mountaineer, I'll make a note to visit Shell Creek too..Great Photos!

Thanks everybody!
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Not much hope for wildflowers putting on a show there this dry year. But miracles have happened before like in the miracle March of 1991. I was out there a couple times last spring of 2005 while I was working Shell Creek. Not nearly as good as the El Nino spring of 1998 and 1995 was the most recent mindboggler. Like Antelope Valley and some of the other desert areas, it is amazing how much more impressive Carrizo looks in the big years.

Soda Lake is the largest in that area but for photos, I prefer some of the smaller alkali ponds that one has to hike a ways off the road to visit. Mornings in that large basin often have nicely calm conditions for reflections. However because all is so flat, there is little vertical component to one's image frames so working the smaller ponds gives one more interesting components to the closer opposite shores. And one needs to pray for some clouds.

...David
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Gorgeous pictures Windwalker...I love the little bunny..so very sweet.
Great logo for you!

Very pretty pictues Mountaineer

Thanks for sharing WW :D
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

I just returned from there a few minutes ago. Incredibly bad weather. However, I still saw about 40 pronghorns, eagles, hawks, and a peregrine, wild pigs(about a dozen), and all manner of weird waterfowl. Awesome place and only took me about 55 minutes to get o Soda Lake.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Where is this place? I lived in California for thirty years and never heard of it!
Windwalker
Founding Member

Post by Windwalker »

copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

BSquared wrote:Where is this place? I lived in California for thirty years and never heard of it!
The carrizo plain is pretty much due east of San Luis Obisbo ( http://3dparks.wr.usgs.gov/carrizo/ ) I've heard it referred to as one of the most remote places in California. I doubt that, but it IS pretty remote.
mountaineer wrote:I just returned from there a few minutes ago. Incredibly bad weather. However, I still saw about 40 pronghorns, eagles, hawks, and a peregrine, wild pigs(about a dozen), and all manner of weird waterfowl. Awesome place and only took me about 55 minutes to get o Soda Lake.
Cool. Sounds like you had a good time despite the weather!