2009 Backpacking Recap

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
trav867
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

2009 Backpacking Recap

Post by trav867 »

There's a similar thread going on the Whitney Portal Store board but this isn't limited to peaks- where'd you go, how many nights, what lakes, trails, peaks, etc...!
I'll get it started:

May 23-25 from Horseshoe Meadows
Miter Basin, Siberian Outpost, Big Whitney Meadow

July 2-5 from Cottonwood Lakes
New Army Pass, Mt. Langley, Upper Soldier Lake, Miter Basin, Erin Lake, Mt. Pickering, Rock Creek

Aug 7-9 from North Lake
Piute Pass - Humphrey's Basin - Desolation Lake - Forsaken Lake - Four Gables

Sept 18-20 from Onion Valley
Kearsarge Pass - Mt. Gould - Rae Lakes - Glenn Pass

Nov 26-27 from Onion Valley
Kearsarge Pass- Charlotte Lake - Mt. Bago - Mt. Rixford
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Re: 2009 Backpacking Recap

Post by balzaccom »

Ok. Not including some pretty serious day hiking in Yosemite as well....

April: Rancheria Falls and LeConte Point
May ; Emigrant Wilderness Bear Lake, Granite Lake.
July: John Muir Wilderness: Post Corral Meadow, Devils Punchbowl, Rae Lake, etc.
August: Boundary Lake and Kibbie Ridge—
September: Carson Pass to Showers Lake, Dardanelles Lake and Round Lake
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

June 26-28 - Humphries Basin/Piute Creek

August something - Hilton Lakes

Oct 23-26 - Kern Flat
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

Cool thread. Let's see now...dates may be approximate...

June 20-21: overnight in Ansel Adams (near Lost Lake)

July 2-5: Trinity Alps: Long Canyon trailhead-->Anna Lake-->Summit Lake (layover, dayhike the 4 Lakes loop)-->out

July 20-25: Clark Range loop: Mono Meadows-->Lower Merced Pass Lake-->Red Devil Lake (meetup with Markskor & Oldranger)-->Adair Lake-->Obelisk Lake-->LYV-->out

Had another trip planned in the Tablelands, but bailed because of bad weather.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Lets see

April- Overnighter to Alder Springs (N. of Bend OR)
May--Two nighter to Opal Creek (packed clothes and food but slept in Cabin)
9 day trip from Tioga Road to Pleasant Valley Area and Back started Memorial day. Maverick surprised me by showing up on 5th day at my camp at Irwin Bright Lake.
12 day trip in Late july Granite Creek, Isberg Pass, Edna, Red Devil, Adair, Obelisk, Washburn, Harriet, Blue lakes and back to Granite Creek. Met up with a couple of characters named Mark and Tom. One of the best trips ever.
August--Overnighter to Hart Lake in the North Cascades.
5 night lolipop route trip in Eagle Cap Wilderness
Oct. Nov--another 2 night trip to Opal creek (stayed in cabin again but had meals prepared for us)

Numerous Dayhikes in N Cascades in Washington, Oregon Cascades, High Desert of Oregon, Zion, and even a short one in 20 lakes basin N. of Saddlebag Lake.

Planned September backpack trips were lost because I had to work (unexpectedly). For someone ready to retire the only thing worse than being unemployed is being employed!

Happy New Year!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
cahiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by cahiker »

In addition to the numerous car camping / day hiking trips:

April (Friday night after work): Mid-Peninsula Open Space District - Black Mountain

May 23-25: Sequoia NP - Bearpaw Meadow, Hamilton Lakes

June 28 - July 2: Ansel Adams Wilderness - Rush Creek TH, Waugh Lake, 1000 Island Lake, River Trail, Clark Lakes

August 20-23: John Muir Wilderness - Mono Creek TH, Silver Pass Lake, Lake of the Lone Indian, Peter Pande Lake. Skipped the last night at Graveyard Lakes due to rain and my friends' leaky tent and lack of dry clothes.

September 5-7: Desolation Wilderness - Bayview TH, Lower Velma Lake, Dick's Lake/Pass
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Wish I could remember the exact dates…must be “sometimers” kicking in.
May – two nights at Marin Headlands
June – couple of overnighters South Fork of the Yuba…secret spot, 5 miles in, for 3-pounders… and an Overnighter at New Melones going for Kokes with Flip
July – 26 days Yosemite – somewhere just cooking up some fish… (Even put up with OldRanger and Tehipite Tom for an enjoyable spell there too). A great trip!

BTW, the best part of spending 4 weeks in the Sierra: After a week or so, you finally find both your pace and your legs. After that, you just put it in low gear and go anywhere the trout are. God I love the Sierra!

August – 4 nights Desolation – Echo, Velma, Dick’s
September – 3 nights Saddlebag area

Total: 39 nights in a bag.
Mountainman who swims with trout
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice idea for a thread. I can't say my 2009 season looks very impressive, but any sort of getting out is better than nothing. All but one of the below are dayhikes, rather than backpacking trips.

May 29. Short hike in northern Japan looking at small scarps and earthquake-induced landslides.

June 19 (not really backcountry) in failing light fished Ellery Lake's far side and caught one small brown and one small brookie (and no planters, oddly enough) in about 5 casts before snapping rod tip off hooking bush behind me on cast. Stayed at my favorite primitive camping hideaway in that area. En route to get graduate student started on field project E of White Mtns; this was two days of hiking in the area south of Fish Lake Valley.

June 26-28. Various hikes getting graduate students started on projects in the N. Sierra. 6-26 climb Lyons Pk (Granite Chief) area. 6-27 hikes in Canyon Creek area N. of Downieville. 6-28 dayhike to Long Lake, Lakes Basin. Slow fishing results in a single 13" rainbow.

July 4-5 only backpack of the year. This is the second consecutive year taking the kids (3.5 and 7 yrs at the time of this trip) on a backpacking trip to this place. It's trailless, pretty easy to reach, , and we were the only ones there on 4th of July weekend; not a place to publicize. Lee, our 7-yr-old, caught four brookies and caught the largest fish of the trip (13"). Judy and I caught plenty, most in the 10-12" range.

July 13. commando raid dayhike with Judy while kids are in daycare. A trailless lake in 168 country. Success for both of us with fat brookies all of which were between 13.5 and 15.5".

July 18. family dayhike assisted by 4WD up Brewer Lake jeep trail. Fished Brewer and Tocher Lake with some success from each.

July 24. commando raid dayhike with Judy returning to the Brewer Lake jeep trail. Went to Beryl Lake as well as Tocher and Brewer. Rather slow fishing but decent fish in Beryl and Tocher (13-14" range but scarce).

July 25. Family day trip. Minimal hike from road to part of east shoreline of Courtright Reservoir. Lee and I both catch a few decent planter rainbows. Judy has some near misses with large browns.

July 31. solo dayhike to Cora Lake. Slow fishing gets a 14 and a 15" rainbow.

August 7. continued abuse of the poor Pathfinder. Family dayhike assisted by 4WD. Attempt at Strawberry jeep trail thwarted (vehicular shortcomings). Hike to Mirror lake. Fishing a dud.

September 5. still more abuse of the Pathfinder. Another family dayhike assisted by 4WD. Hatch Lake, S. of Dinkey Lakes Wilderness. Catch a ton of brookies in 8-10" range.

September 24. Night hike to some place in Desolation Wilderness results in single 14" brookie.

18 total nights in the bag in 2009 (1 backpacking, all others car camping in the name of geologic research (5) or teaching field classes (12))
Last edited by giantbrookie on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cvr
Topix Acquainted

Post by cvr »

16 Days total:

June: Tuolumne - Waterwheel - Tuolumne

July: Duck Pass - Purple Lake - Hortense - Ram Lakes Basin - Duck Pass

August: Sabrina - Midnight Lake - Hungry Packer Lake/Echo Lake - Baboon Lakes - Sabrina

Sept: Isberg Pass TH - Sadler Lake - Basin above Washburn - Wasburn Lake - above LYV - Happy Isles
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

Just before the big October storm by four days. Perfect fall weather, clear and calm with bone chilling nights. McGee Pass and the head waters of Fish creek.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien