Favorite Bars

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: BumbleBars+Luna Bars

Post by ERIC »

Snow Nymph wrote:
Hetchy wrote::bear:
My second choice is Clif's Luna Bars. They are touted as "The Whole Nutrition Bar for Women".
I don't care, they are yummy. :nod: Besides they come in Caramel Nut Brownie! :yummy:
And it does not hurt that I bought like 200 of them at a huge discount!
Hetchy is secure with his masculinity. :D I like that!

I get burned out with all those bars. I recently found one (forget the name) at Mammoth Mountaineering in Mammoth, with a lot of nuts in a banana flavor. It was over $3, but it was GOOD! I tried the blueberry ClifBar, and that was pretty good too. I picked up a few more at trader joes. In Australia they had nutty bars that were pretty good.
I confess, I'm a Luna man myself.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Favorite Bars

Post by oldranger »

Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

oldranger wrote:Lara Bars-Cherry

mike
...or any flavor! Lara Bars qualify (imho) for the Colin Fletcher Seal of Approval: they "resemble food." Funny: I just ordered a case from my local food co-op co-conspirator. Hoping to take them on the JMT with me this summer.

-B²
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

I found some fruit bars maybe 10 years ago, but the local natural foods co-op quit carrying them. Same name as some town in OR, Okanagum or something like that. Loved them. The ProBar was ok, like the rest, after a few, blah.
Piece of cake.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Mostly, when I take bars, I take a variety of bars so I don't have any one kind several days in a row. Clif, Balance, and Tigers milk mostly. The orignal flavor Tigers Milk bar is the best to me - I can eat more of those without getting tired of them.
e_l_green
Topix Newbie

Post by e_l_green »

I used to like Clif bars but something happened five or six years ago and they became inedible shoe goo for me, I just can't stand the taste of them anymore. Right now I'm snarfing down some Premier Protein bars that I found at Costco. They're targeted at the body-building set rather than at outdoors types, but they're yummy and nutritious and don't have a consistency similar to rubber. Probably wouldn't work well in super-hot temperatures but I haven't had a problem with them in any temperatures I've taken them out into thus far.

And yeah, that's my usual breakfast. I've never been a big breakfast eater -- at home I mostly just drink a big mug of coffee, and that's my breakfast. Instant hot cocoa with some instant coffee in it finishes up the trail breakfast for me.
bob adams
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by bob adams »

I don’t know if it’s still there but I liked the Cutthroat Saloon in Markleeville, CA. It was kinda a biker bar on 89 where people pinned dollar bills on the walls and women would get free drinks if they pinned their bras up. You can get my favorite comfort food there after a long dry Sierra hike …… good cold beer! :drinkers:

As far as those energy bars, everthing I have ever had tasted like dry cardboard.
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

Bear Valley Pemmican bars are my favorite.
Or make Oatmeal Cookies.
Or purchase a Fruitcake, soak it in Brandy and slice it into single servings.
Or take Snickers bars in cool weather, check and compare the actual food values
Vs. price, The Snickers wins over all the commercial bars.
Or make Logan Bread with a bit more fruit. Actually the Bear Valley Bars
most resemble Logan Bread.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

frediver wrote:Bear Valley Pemmican bars are my favorite.
...Or purchase a Fruitcake, soak it in Brandy and slice it into single servings.
Surely at this time of year it shouldn't be necessary to purchase a fruitcake! I think a little careful dumpster diving is likely to turn up an arbitrarily large number of discarded fruitcakes... :D
—B²
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

BSquared wrote:
frediver wrote:Bear Valley Pemmican bars are my favorite.
...Or purchase a Fruitcake, soak it in Brandy and slice it into single servings.
Surely at this time of year it shouldn't be necessary to purchase a fruitcake! I think a little careful dumpster diving is likely to turn up an arbitrarily large number of discarded fruitcakes... :D
LOL...I LOVE fruitcake! I think this is a GREAT idea!! (using it in place of bars... not the dumpster-diving idea :) ) You just send me your discarded fruitcakes B2 - YUM!