Show your Can!

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Show your Can!

Post by oldranger »

Ah Bill!

Look carefully and you can figure it out! :D Not far from where you were last summer!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Bill, look at the jagged peaks to the right of the can, they should be a dead give away!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

maverick wrote:Bill, look at the jagged peaks to the right of the can, they should be a dead give away!
That's what's frustrating me! It all looks maddeningly familiar, mostly like the Minarets area, but I just cannot place the lake, and the peak behind the lake on the left side looks remarkably like University Peak, a hundred miles or so to the south! So, I confess I'm stumped and will no doubt feel extremely stupid when I find out... :(
—B²
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

you've got the Minarets right! :) you haven't seen the lake and will need a map to figure it out! Good thing the semester is over! :D

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Trying to make a guess here without giving it away - could it be B.L. in B.C. ?
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Somewhere around Twin Island Lakes, maybe? The Minarets are appearing to the right of a large mountain mass that could certainly be Ritter and Banner from the west... Back in the Old Days I did do one hike on the west side of the Ritter Range, and I think it was in that general vicinity (we climbed Banner as a fairly easy day hike)... Hmmm... However, Google Earth makes it look like the Minnarets don't show from there, so I'm probably all wet. Gorgeous place, though, wherever it may be!
Good thing the semester is over! :D
Truth to tell, I'm on sabbatical this year, so the semester doesn't have much effect on me, but I am supposed to be working at least occasionally... :p
—B²
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

BSquared you are in the vicinity, but you have to go up higher in elevation, and a little
more to the west to be able to see those Minaret Peaks from that angle.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Paul got it. Russ took two tries in a PM but was really close the first guess. Bill your last guess was close too. But just a little east. Now we have gotten a little off Marks thread but here is a photo from the same place a little latter in the day.
Blue Lake.jpg
Anglers note several rings from small rainbows feeding. Not a lake I would return to for fishing but the view of the Ritter Range is drop dead gorgeous. This is one of the photos that make me wish I carried more than a point and shoot.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Ah. I just wasn't looking quite far enough west--thanks Maverick. "BL in BC" does seem to do it, even in Google Earth. Hmmm... might have to get back in there some day...

-End of hijacked thread-

:p
—B²
JWreno
Topix Regular

Post by JWreno »

Boy, I would be worried about all the extra weight from those stickers.
Here is a picture of my current collection:

The Bear Vault is a little old and may not be fully legal anymore.
The 3 Wild Ideas are good for a lifetime of use.
Jeff