Recommendation for 3 day hikes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Randy31
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Recommendation for 3 day hikes

Post by Randy31 »

All,
Thank you for all the information. This is great and very helpful. Being from PA I do not get a chance to be out that way too often. I did visit Yosemite with my family several years ago, but did the standard stuff by car. Young kids and a wife that does not have the same passion for hiking beyond a paved 1-2 mile trail kept me from doing any hiking too exciting that time. But intent has always been to go back.

I will probably come back with additional questions once I get a chance to go through all the input.

Thanks again
Randy
Markr
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Markr »

If you camp at Toulumne Mdws you can easily access Mono Pass and Parker Pass. There are a number of beautiful views and it is real high country. Go outside the park to Saddlebag lake and go into the lake basin at the North end. Not to be missed. There are some twenty lakes and it is surrounded by high peaks. No real trails, just wander around as you please.
JMat
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by JMat »

Randy31,
One day hike that hasn't been recommended that I would definiately put high on the list would be Young Lakes... You have to make sure you hit the upper lake, though. This hike gives some incredible views of Yosemite's north with all of its rugged beauty. If you don't enter the park over Tioga Pass one of these hikes out of Tuolomne Meadows is a must. Actually... A hike out of Tuolomne Meadows area is a must anyway.
I'll have to admit, though... Half Dome, even with all the people you'll meet in one day, is one of those hikes you'll never come close to mirroring anywhere else. The view from the top is incredible and hauling your a$$ up those cables is something you'll never forget.
I guess what I'm trying to say is... 3 day hikes in Yosemite??? Where do you start??? Just make sure you do at least one trip in the northern part of the park along Hwy 120, or for my money, you'll have missed most of its beauty.

JMat