GRADUATED ND FILTERS OR PHOTOSHOP??

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
Hikin Mike
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: GRADUATED ND FILTERS OR PHOTOSHOP??

Post by Hikin Mike »

DAVELA wrote:Thanks for the replies.

My main purpose is to filter out the harshness between green forest,meadows and snowcapped peaks.Usually the peaks come out all washed out/overexposed.So to compensate i adjusted the shutter speed to a faster setting.However this gives the darker foreground a darker and hazed look with reduced detail.
I guess i could avoid most of this problem if i took early morning/late evening shots with optimim lighting but sometimes time cant afford that luxury.Especially when in a new location that you are seeing for the first time and cant plan ahead for optimum lighting times.
I am using a nikon d70 with the nikkor 18-70lens and a polarizer.Its a sharp lens.
Even shooting at sunrise/sunset you may have to use a GND or bracket several shots in Photoshop.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Take one shot correctly exposed for the highlights, and one for the shadows, then
combine them, and that will take care of your problem.
Just use your histogram to ensure you do not blow any of your highlights (overexposing)
or loose any shadow detail (underexposing).
Hikin Mike
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Hikin Mike »

maverick wrote:Take one shot correctly exposed for the highlights, and one for the shadows, then
combine them, and that will take care of your problem.
Just use your histogram to ensure you do not blow any of your highlights (overexposing)
or loose any shadow detail (underexposing).
....and use a tripod. :unibrow:
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

John Dittli wrote:A classic mistake is to make the foreground (say in a reflection) higher key than the background; impossible in nature and a dead give away
I've been guilty of that more than once :lol: