HOrses

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: HOrses

Post by oldranger »

As a relative "newbie" I guess I missed the previous threads. I've been a backpacker since the late 50s and beginning in the early 70's became an occasional client of commercial packers. From 84 through 90 I was a stock ranger for the NPS. Like my fishing I'm not a purist in this issue. I agree fully with Pauls comments and want to add a few of my own.

1. Trail damage--There is no doubt that stock can wear out trails more rapidly than people traffic. A lot of the problem is poor trail location and sometimes construction. When I was a backcountry ranger I tried to get early season restrictions on stock travel in order to prevent stock from turning wet sections trail into a quagmire. Sometimes all it would take is preventing stock from using certain trails for a few weeks and the problem wouldn't occur.

2. Trash--yep the potential for people with stock to leave a lot more trash than backpackers. But the shear number of backpackers means that, as a ranger I did more picking up after backpackers than horse people. You couldn't believe the amount of stuff I found miles from the closest a horse could get.

3. Stock management- It really is possible to reduce the impacts of stock near campsites if they are properly managed. I always tried to set a good example by unloading my stock, checking them out and turning them loose (a viable option in most of the Roaring River Country due to drift fences). If turning loose meant too many miles the next morning a high line would would be used over the least sensitive site I could find--out of camp. A pet peeve I had with a lot of private stock users is that they would have a fire going all day. On moving days I would get my stuff packed up, find the stock bring them next to camp then load them up and get out of dodge.

4. Commercial Packers--Most operations don't make a lot of money. And there is much less stock use than 50 years ago. Between Fish Camp on highway 41 and Clover Meadow s. of Yosemite there used to be 5 pack stations now there is 1. The number of operators on the E. Side has been reduced significantly by reduced demand. Now the FS has a quota on the number of trips the operators can make to specific areas so that if demand were to increase they may not be able to meet the demand. The ability of packers to influence their clients is extremely limited due to the economics of their operation. The wages of the employee who leads the stock generally is not minimum wage. Like restaurant servers they are dependent upon tips. You aren't going to tell the tipper to clean up or spend much time cleaning up when you have a long way to go before getting back to the packstation and your clients are in a hurry to get out.

5. Horse poop--If you complain about horse poop do you realize how urbanized and sanitized your life has become. A hundred years ago horse poop was a fact of urban life. We have become so separate from our rural roots that when away from the city we expect the same conditions. Lets go back 110 years ago to the sierra. Not only were there horses but thousands of head of sheep and cattle grazing, A single Sierra Club outing was supported by more horses than I have seen in the backcoutry in the last 10 years. I've compared photos taken in the Roaring River Country in 1940 with photos I took in the 80s. Conditions are much better.

6. Tradional skills--I admire packers who can pack and lead a string of 4 or 5 mules and keep an eye on another 4-6 dudes. Packing the stock and tacking a loose shoe on the trail are skills that should not be lost.

7. Still want to avoid or minimize signs of equine presence? Get off the trail! Go more than 10 miles from a trailhead. Figure out places with little stock use. In yosemite, for example there is little stock use on trails other than those that connect the High Sierra Camps.

Happy Hiking and Riding

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Old Ranger wrote " I agree fully with Pauls comments and want to add a few of my own",
wow, that's a few Mike?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Peter,
Thats what happens when you have too much time and you are trying to avoid your wife's list of honeydos.

Here are a couple more points I forgot:

I always thought there should be a couple of trails in the park where horses should not be permitted. I always thought of Roaring River as "horse country" because there were so many cowboy trails dating back to before it became part of the park. But even then I thought there should be restrictions on when stock could utilize the trails, thought cross country travel on stock was not appropriate west of crowley canyon and s. of the Belle Canyon Entrance trail. Finally I thought (still do) that cross country stock travel should be restricted to below 10,000 feet. This would prevent stock use into Big and Little Brewer Lakes but would have no impact on any other stock use since at least 1980. Stock used to go up into Cunningham Creek drainage but sometime prior to 1984 an avalanche left trees crisscrossed across the only possible stock route. Stock also used to go up to Big Bird and then up to Scenic Meadow. There are a bunch of other routes still useable in the area.

Finally even though "horse country" I always felt that one meadow up Deadman or Cloud Canyons should be closed to grazing each summer. That would enable people to see what an ungrazed meadow looks like. Usually only one or two meadows were grazed each year to the point that that it was obvious, kind of like a golf course with horse turds instead of golf balls. But even a meadow barely grazed looks different--the ends of the grass are flat instead of pointed and it just doesn't wave the same in the wind.

Whoops! I think she just got home!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Mike
After all that, all I want to know is what you really think about the issue, I know your
holding back Mike! Peter
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

:rolleyes:

mike
Mike

balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Great posts, Mike. Thanks.

There is a lot of thought and a lot of wisdom in those words.

Now: what can we possibly do about some of this stuff? Is it possible to encourage the USFS along some of these lines?

And I have to admit, I'm not afraid of taking an issue public. I've even considered setting up a dummy corporation that would buy up some of the grazing rights in national forests...I'll be we could sell that idea to any number of environmental organizations. But I've now learned that you have to be approved by the USFS before they will allow you to participate in the bidding process.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Balzacom

The FS has reduced the number of AUMs in grazing allotments so much that many of them are currently not being grazed or the numbers greatly reduced over the past. Grazing in many areas is more of a hobby or traditional activity for families that have been running cattle for generations. Similarly the amount of both private and commercial stock use is a fraction of what it was when I started backpacking. There are pretty large organizations putting pressure on the FS and BLM to reduce or even end grazing on public lands throughout the west. I suspect if that is your interest then a google search can turn up someone already involved in trying to end grazing. My point wasn't to get you up in arms but to point out that there are a small fraction of domestic 4 footed creatures in the high sierra compared to the beginning of the 20th century. I would never want to go backward to those days but think that responsible stock use like responsible backpacking is an acceptable backcountry use.

Mike
Mike

balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Thanks Mike...and you didn't get me up in arms. I once spent a really unpleasant night being bothered by cows all night long in the Carson-Iceberg Wilderness, so my arms were already up there somewhere.

But I am not fanatically opposed to all horses in the wilderness. I see they have a place, but I would like those who use them to limit their impact as much as possible.

And I agree about backpackers also being litterbugs. Worst of all, (and I am a fisherman) is that fishermen are pigs. More trash dumped in more pristine environments than anybody else by far. I can't remember the last time I went fishing where I didn't drag out some monofilament, drag up a lure, or clean up some trash left by fishermen.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

HI MIke

Little off topic but I know how much you enjoyed riding your horse when stationed at
Roaring River, when is the last time you had a chance to get back in the saddle?
I know you visited some of the small lakes up on the bench, but did you ever go all
the way up to Big Brewer Lake?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Peter,

I rode from granite creek to Sadler Lake this summer on the first day of my upper Merced trip. With two weeks of food I would never have been able to meet up with Markskor on the appointed day without that first day lift.

I regularly rode up to the 10,000 ft level on Brewer Creek. Once rode up to Little Brewer. But the stock passable route up to Big Brewer goes over some really sensitive steep damp grass. The horses would chew it up terribly. My philosophy, even though I rode places that rangers before me and after me never rode, was "just because you can ride a horse someplace doesn't mean that you should." I got really pissed when some NPS folks rode horses all the way up to Big Brewer, it was legal but it wasn't right. It took a few years before the scared terrain healed.

I used to keep the cowboy trail up the west fork of Ferguson to the last meadow open but when the commercial packer at the time kept leaving a mess at the campsite I destroyed the site and stopped clearing the trail which made it much more difficult to get a pack string through. Since then many of the trees burned in a fire in the mid/late 70's have fallen and there is a large section of trail that is completely impassable to stock and not fun with a backpack. There is a get around but you really have to know the area or have someone give you directions.

Balzacom

I've experienced that several times but not since 1981 and believe it or not it was in Kings Canyon NP. Since most of Kings Canyon did not become a park until 1940 existing permittees were allowed to continue grazing until their death. So I think it was through 1985 there were still cattle grazing around Williams and Comanche Meadows. Not knowing grazing was permitted I was shocked to be awakened by cows one night when camped at Comanche Meadows. This was the year before I became a backcountry ranger. For several years after grazing was not permitted in the park cattle continued to graze in the park because the cows couldn't read the park boundary signs.

The the second time I ever went into Long Creek in Sept of 1973 (s. of yosemite in what was then Minarets Wilderness, now Ansel Adams) there were cows and an old cowboy with his dog gathering the cattle before the start of hunting season. We had a few cows visit us the previous night north of the old Chitwood Cabin (now ruins). My early backpacking was in the Granite Creek area and NF San Joaquin River and it seems that in the late 50s and early 60s there were more cows than deer.

If you really want to hear about the old days I bet George has stories about chasing sheepherders out of Yosemite when he was a young ranger. :D

mike
Mike