Wilderness Trailhead Signs

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Wilderness Trailhead Signs

Post by SSSdave »

Most of the responders seem to be offering backpacker's perspectives and not considering the fact dayhikers at many trailheads are far more numerous. Often such visitors have little knowledge of national forest service policies much less wilderness policies and rules nor have they visited any ranger stations. So having thorough information is obviously very beneficial for the public and health of the backcountry at all such more widely used trailheads especially those that have improved parking areas. Then there are some trailheads at the end of rough roads or along highways where a trail quietly crosses without any obvious improved parking that are pretty much just in the domain of backpackers or locals. Obviously trailheads in such places can be more minimalist as some have suggested.

For improved trailheads, I'm strongly in favor of what cmon4day presented showing the example of the Florence Lake Trailhead. I've seen these same type behind plexiglass kiosks at a number of trailheads and personally almost always scrutinize them. Often their topo maps have special information added onto them like new or missing trails and no fire zones by the resident wilderness rangers that can be useful. In fact I often use my pocket digital cameras to capture such map info.

I am one that has long been rather vocal about ways of improving visitor knowledge of and adherence to backcountry policies and rules. Improved trail signage both at trailheads and along trails are both needed although such is just part of what is needed. There are some visitors that are simply ignorant and a bit of intelligent signage can go a long ways. For instance, instead of a sign a half mile up a trail simply stating "WILDERNESS PERMITS REQUIRED for overnight visitors", a kiosk at the parking lot trailhead indicating that and where the nearby ranger station for acquiring such a permit was, and the $$$ fine for not doing so, would obviously have a positive impact.

Five miles up a trail beside a lake, the trailhead kiosk info that stated campsites need to be 100 feet from the lake are likely to have little impact on those that can't resist using old sites that were right beside the lake edge. Such people are are quick to rationalize that since the old site has been used it maybe is ok...duh! Just like all the clueless urban people going to a festival event while looking for a parking spot that see one car start to park in a signed NO PARKING zone and within their twisted logic rationalize "Heh! such must be ok?" Likewise the backpacker that finds the above timberline campsite with obvious firepits and then rationalizes fires are ok despite being told that was not so just hours before at the ranger station. For such simple minds, simple signage like "NO CAMPING within 100 feet of the LAKE" along a trail just before it reaches a lake will likely have far more impact. Or where a trail passed the 10,000 elevation of no fires a simple sign stating "NO FIRES above this ELEVATION 10,000 feet" . Of course only a really moron with such a sign posting task would place them at scenic spots like where a trail meets the lake or at an overlook. Instead such info signs ought to placed in inconspicous spots along a trail back in the forest.

In any case signage alone won't make significant difference with many cheaters and abusers. There have always been some of the later who know full well what they are doing is wrong but could care less and in fact some revel in doing such as a badge of badness like snot nosed adolescents or redneck enviro haters. For these latter only a dose of pain in the way of public embarassment or fines is likely to alter their behaviors.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

In addition, (just drawing from experience here), and realizing that now guns are legal carry in the NPs, these "shrines to the trail", as you suggest building at drive-up trailheads, often make for fine targets...(Practice?)
How often have you seen the older ones riddled with holes?
Mountainman who swims with trout
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

I faced the same dilemma back in my fire prevention tech days on the Angeles (I just realized that was 30 years ago :eek: ).

It's real easy to visually overload a sign or bulletin board with multiple posters of regulations and thou-shalt-nots. You are right about the passing glance -- if it is too cluttered it gets ignored. Set priorities about which message(s) you wish to convey at each trailhead and accept you cannot list them all. The priority messages may change throughout the season and change the signs accordingly. Throw away that horrid poster that lists all the general prohibitions verbatim from the CFR's. Instant turn off. I am a follow the rules kind of guy because I understand the reason and rationale behind them. But when someone starts citing legalese like that at me I automatically get agitated and confrontational. :angry:

Keep the signs maintained. When I see bulletin boards and informational signs that are all ripped up, falling down, and outdated messages (i.e. the 'Extreme Fire Danger' warning with snow on it), it is easy to assume the agency is not serious about the message. It also tells me the patrolman does not visit this spot very often and if I was tempted to violate a rule the odds of getting caught are low. A timely well maintained sign suggests regular patrols and stricter law enforcement.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=