Pack Problems

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Pack Problems

Post by BSquared »

This year I finally got to take my (relatively) new Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone on a significant trip (which turned into two slightly less-significant trips; see my TR in Backpacking if interested). The pack has great reviews, but I never got used to it, and I wonder if people on this board have any suggestions. The main problem I had was that it kept feeling like it was trying to fall sideways off my shoulders, especially as I was getting tired in the late afternoons. I did have it pretty close to its maximum weight (40 lbs), but I'm pretty sure it wasn't over that at any time, and it was certainly under 40 toward the ends of the two legs of the trip, but the problem persisted. The weight in the pack seemed to be centered (a sleeping bag at the bottom, Bearikade in the middle with stuff on each side to keep it upright). I think I fitted it properly (I've got some experience fitting packs, and I adjusted the packs of my three fellow hikers on this trip in ways that they thought made them feel better), but I *must* have done something wrong since so many others have such great things to say about this pack! Granite Gear suggested that maybe I should invest in their heavier-duty (and heavier) hip belt and/or longer shoulder straps, since I was feeling weight on my shoulders (as well as the sensation that it was falling off one or the other shoulder), but of course I'd rather solve the problem without buying more stuff. My old REI Great Star was a lot heavier, but a lot more comfortable!

Ideas?
—B²
trav867
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Pack Problems

Post by trav867 »

Is the pack too big for your torso length? That could explain some of the problems you're having. I'm 6'1" 180lbs but I usually need a size medium pack because I have a shorter torso.

Also you could try wearing the chest strap as low as it will go, and as snug as is comfortable. That should at least keep the shoulder straps from slipping sideways.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

I don't think it's the wrong length -- I usually have the opposite problem, since I have a long torso and short legs. I'll give a try to lowering the sternum strap -- it's definitely not comfortable to have it at all tight when it's over my sternum (puff, wheeze)!
—B²
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

post some pictures of yourself with the pack on - profile and from the front, with the pack loaded. then maybe we can give you some better ideas. Preferably pictures close up enough to show the full height of the pack and not much more, so we can see as much detail as possible.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

When you adjusted the pack, did that include opening up to move the shoulder strap attachments to the appropriate spots on the tepex framesheet? When I got my Ozone, the straps were connected somewhere other than where they should have been... I have an 18" back and the straps were at 16".

If you haven't done this, download the manual from the GG website and try it.

You may also need the wider adjustment - that requires obtaining a different attachment bar for the shoulder straps.

My top end comfort zone is 30-35, and when I loaded it to 37 it was less comfortable; fortunately as we eat meals this got lower and I even noticed a different with just a couple days on the trail - pack got more comfortable.