Mt. Russell, East Ridge

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Sam Page
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Mt. Russell, East Ridge

Post by Sam Page »

Here is an account of my tussle with Mt. Russell in October.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Re: Mt. Russell, East Ridge

Post by mokelumnekid »

Congat's on a successful and athletic ascent. Wow, wonderful, if brief report. I've had this on my list for some time. Did you consider descending the "class 3-4" route that is not far from the summit insted of retracing yoru steps? Any other info for someone itching to do this?

Here is another trip report (in many chapters) where they took that direct descent route. Your choice seems better (as long as the weather holds...):

http://tinyurl.com/de3lyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sam Page
Topix Novice

Post by Sam Page »

mokelumnekid wrote:Congat's on a successful and athletic ascent. Wow, wonderful, if brief report. I've had this on my list for some time. Did you consider descending the "class 3-4" route that is not far from the summit insted of retracing yoru steps? Any other info for someone itching to do this?
Thanks, though I certainly was not feeling athletic on the sand/scree slog.

I did consider descending the class 3 route in between the west and east summits, primarily because I was wary about retracing my steps down the east ridge. But I couldn't locate it (I also didn't try very hard).

I HIGHLY recommend bringing hiking poles for the oft-maligned sand/scree slope. You can leave them near the Russell/Carillon Col and pick them up on the return trip. If you are descending a different way, then use actual sticks which can simply be discarded.

Enjoy (at least retrospectively)!
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Congrats on a succsessful summit. Yep, I can definitly relate, that east ridge seriously got my attention too a few years back.:eek: