Double bagging for cold weather

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
trav867
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Double bagging for cold weather

Post by trav867 »

Weather permitting, I'm planning to get out over thanksgiving, haven't settled on where yet but probably not higher than 7 or 8000ft. I don't have a winter bag, and am not in the position to buy a good one. I've heard that using two 3 season bags will work.

In my case they're both 650 fil down rated at +20 and +15. I'm not one to believe the ratings on the bag, but can I expect to be reasonably comfortable using both bags in temperatures of around +10?
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: Double bagging for cold weather

Post by gary c. »

trav867, I don't have any input on how well double bagging works so I'm sorry if this is hijacking your thread. You said you are not ready to buy a new bag right now but I was thinking of posting this earlier anyhow. Last night I ordered a Marmot +5 down bag from Sierra Trading Post for $150. It's not one of Marmots best but I beleive it had a $275 sugested reatail price. You need to have there deal flyer and it comes with free shipping. I ended up paying extra for express deliver so I could have it for a trip this weekend. Today is the last day for this offer. Thought you might be interested.
Gary C.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

trav, i don't know where you live, but maybe borrow a bag? Double-bagging sounds confining.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Trav,

I wouldn't hesitate to use my 20 degree bag in temps close to zero if I added some 200 weight fleece to my normal sleep outfit and also put my bag in a bivy sack as well, inside my tent. Since I have all of the above that is how I would deal with Sierra temps in late November if I had to sleep outside.

Mike

ps. actually I'd rent a cabin :D .
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Trav, here is a link to a discussion with some veiws about double bagging. You need to read down towards the bottom of the thread to get to the talk about double bagging.
Gary C.

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/backco ... 61820.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Hetchy
Topix Regular

Post by Hetchy »

I have a suggestion. A silk bag liner can deliver a boost to the bags comfort under lower than "rated" temperatures. The silk liner hugs your body and eliminates(divides) convection in those spaces where there is a gap betwen body and bag. The silk also eschews moisture and is very much more comfortable on the skin than bare nylon. I got mine for 18 bucks at Mel Cottons in San Jose. The brand was GRAND TRUNK. Has a little sewn in emblem of an alpaca on the stuff sack.
Anyhow.. A simple light weight silk liner might perhaps give you the added "comfort" range without massive bulk or compressing the fill of your sleeping bag.
Hey.. Check out those bivy sacks made out of MOMENTUM fabrics. My buddy Birdman got one and laundered the "****" out of it before the hike to make more breatheable(key tip). A 9 ounce bivy sack of MOMENTUM fabric was used succesfully by at least one long distance hiker this year is all I can say.
Another beauty is to carry your normal sack.. and a couple of gatorade bottles. Boil water at bedtime and put it into the gat bottles. Pull a spare wool sock over the bottle and push it deep into the sanctum sanctorum of your Western Mount.. oops. :unibrow: Sleeping bag and get all night comfort with a 40 degree bag in 20 degree weather.

(Warning- Do not do this. I do not advise anyone carry any less gear than can comfortbly give them a margin of survival acceptable to that person. In other words I and other thru hikers exchange a degree of that margin of safety in order to make more miles per day. Ultra light techniques assume another order of risk!)

A proper shelter can add 10 degrees or more to "comfort" level.

Gossamer Gear ONE tent.. at 17 ounces it sets up with the aid of trekking poles. A full skirt mesh panel and one full mesh wall it breathes easily. The spinnaker fabric is indestructible and pitched correctly has unparralelled wind resistance(NO JOKE!).

Chose your gear based upon your comfortable level of risk. For us it was the lightest dam thing we can carry. But we travel in summer conditions. I used a Western Mountaineering 20 degree ultralight on the PCT<advertisement>(EXCELLANT! BUY ONE NOW!)<advertisement>I also have a WM 0 degree down bag that is 15 years old (NO JOKE!) I use for early May jaunts into Jack Main Canyon.
Personally.. I would buy a new bag of the appropriate temperature rating. <advertisement>My last two Western Mountaineering bags were made in USA on Martha avenue in San Jose CA<advertisement>. :evil:
Okay.. I am trying to be funny! :D
Cheers :partyman:
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I agree with the silk liner, not only does it add warmth, but keeps your bag clean.
Hat, socks, draping a down jacket or fleece over your torso and feet, warm water
bottle between thighs, don't get it to hot or to close to the jewels(hard boiled eggs
come to mind), tent that is properly set up in a wind blocked area, all add warmth to
a night in the woods.
Last edited by maverick on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

+1 on maverick's discussion on site selection. If you want a real eye-opener on microsite weather first thing in the morning after getting up take temperature readings at various spots around a 50 yard radius circle around your tent. There can easily a be 10-15 degree difference. Slight differences in terrain undulations, differences of overhead canopy closure, soil and vegetation, nightime wind gradient paths, etc, all combine to make big differences in early morning temps. There may not be a significant difference in the evening and still have a great variation in the early morning.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=