Crap/junk you have found in the back country?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Crap/junk you have found in the back country?

Post by oldranger »

Russ,

Russ, I think I would have moved the canisters and white gas far enough to shake up the owners but not so far that they couldn't easily spot them. But that is just my perverted sense of humor. :D

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

we moved nothing. it was sad enough to see what they did, without advertising it.

i better not find another lake not advertised for rehabilitation.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

One thing does bother me about picking up "abandoned" items, am I positive they are
actually "abandoned" and not a pre-positioned "Cache" that someone is depending on?
99% of the time it is pretty easy to tell. I've left notes on my stuff when I was away for a couple of days. Of course no one found it so the notes were irrelevant.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

oldranger wrote:
99% of the time it is pretty easy to tell. I've left notes on my stuff when I was away for a couple of days. Of course no one found it so the notes were irrelevant.

Mike
Funny, I leave notes on my stuff as well if i have to go out and come back, like in late Sept:
"Please do not disturb this 150lbs of bear meat. I'll be back to pick it up on Oct 1st.

Hugs,

Russ
After the snowstorm, i didn't think anyone be there. It was more for any ranger that might creep in.

The other item i seem to find a lot of are flimsy steel BBQ grates. I see like 1 a year.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Russ,

40 years ago there used to be 2 or 3 grates at every campsite where there was wood. Now they are relatively rare. I actually kind of like them as it is easier to cook my fish. But then I've never been a purist when it comes to the Wilderness Act.

Mike
Mike

Hetchy
Topix Regular

Post by Hetchy »

In the Lake Vernon region of HetchHetchy there are numerous old glass bottles and sardine cans to be found. Left over from not only the more recent fishermen but the original dam builders as well(some bottles are from 1930's)
I personally have drug out D cell batteries from old camofire rings, the typical can and bottle from roadside CG's.
At Guffy camp in So Cal a bunch of hikers banded together to clean up the Hiker/Car Campground. Actuallly the problem there was(unbelieveably!) NON-bearproof garbage cans in a backcountry trailhead.
Everyone began to point fingers but we all knew.. Leaving garbage out for critters=dumb humans.
The really cool thing was just as we began to pick up the trash a forest service truck pulled up.. we just loaded the litter bags into the truck and he bailed!
THE TRAIL PROVIDES!
:D
Lake Vernon Region Northern Yosemite wilderness
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

About halfway up Piute Canyon between the bridge and Golden Trout Lakes. In other words, about the farthest point you can get from any trailhead within Piute Canyon.

It was full, unopened, and had 'FREE' written on the top, along with the date and 'enjoy!'. The date was 8/11/07, I think I walked by on 8/13 at about 9 am. Sure, I'll just sit and have a refreshing glass of warm crappy cabernet, thanks.

Next time I don't feel like carrying out my trash maybe I'll just label it 'free!' and leave it on the side of the trail. Sigh.

If I'd been thinking I would have drained it and carried out the trash, but I just kind of shook my head and hoped a horse packer would pick it up. After all, free wine!

Take-a-Hike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Take-a-Hike »

MK: We saw those skis as well....just makes u wonder.... :confused: Thought about trying to cut em up and carry out....probably would have fit right in w/all the crazies we met on the JMT...but then logic set in. I've carried out excess/others trash, etc., but the skis were above and beyond, IMO, w/2 far 2 go.
W/us it's been the usual balloons and left over campfire/cooking grill tops. We did find a couple of bags full of junk next to?a few yards off the trail coming out of the Mono Creek area about a quarter of a mile before/past the JMT junction. Again, too much to carry. We told a couple of ranger guys who were checking permits at the camp area at the Edison Lake turnoff. They indicated that they knew where it was...so obvious to me they'd seen it but were not equipped to carry it out either.
T-a-H
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

yeah, I found those skis and put at that campsite (that's where we camped on our first night coming in from Taboose TH).
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

At Edyth (Edith) lake I found a Boat and Oars. What a fun trip that was. They were hidden in a difficult to reach fishing spot (why I was there). I figured someone was coming back for them. By the time I got home it seemed not to be the case. I came back later that summer with two teenage boys and the stuff was still there. What luck for us.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.