Which NP's beyond the Sierra?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Which NP's beyond the Sierra?

Post by maverick »

Okay we all love the Sierra, but if you got a chance to spend 2 weeks each at any
US National Park, Monument, Wilderness, which 2 would it be?
Mine would be Glacier NP, and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.
cmon4day
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Crater Lake

Post by cmon4day »

I'd like to go to Crater Lake NP. I've always wanted to go there and check it out. After watching the Ken Burns special on our National Park system, I did't realize that it was the 6th NP created. :p
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Re: Which NP's beyond the Sierra?

Post by The Other Tom »

Big Bend NP and Glacier NP
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Eagle Cap Wilderness in the Wallowa Mountains of Eastern Oregon. Reminiscent of the Sierra in geology (and plate tectonic histories), but more lush in vegetation - - wildflowers bustin' at the seams. My son and I spent a week there when we lived in Oregon, and experienced a spectacular lightning storm, mild weather a day later, gorgeous sunsets and wildflower gardens that wouldn't quit. Had curious elk come visit our camp, and caught fish in several lakes that are legendary for trout. Beautiful, accessible, and not overcrowded.

Mmmmm.....Crater Lake! Yeah, another story, though! :nod:
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I have been to Crater Lake, and it was quite pretty, and I have heard great things
about Eagle Cap, but never about the wildflowers(any photo's Timberline?).
I have read that Smokey NP has the largest wildflower displays with over 1600 species
which is amazing, and also has great Fall color too.
Allyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by Allyn »

Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef and the NP's in the Grand Staircase areas.
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Yo, maverick,
Sorry, no pictures from that trip (darn! what was I thinking?) The best flower gardens we saw were in the open meadows of the upper Lostine Canyon, the beautiful glacial valley that was our entrance to the middle of the wilderness, where Eagle Cap peak is the centerpiece. Lush with blossoms and beautifully lit by the setting sun. Also interesting, but around to the north side of the range, is the tram/gondola ride to the top of Mt. Howard overlooking Wallowa Lake and a whole bunch of Eastern Oregon canyon country, into Washington, and over to the Seven Devils Mts. of Idaho. Mt Howard is a good jump off point for wilderness hikes, too. Wallowa Lake became a destination for a number of family camping trips when we lived in that part of Oregon. Thanks for asking; makes me feel good to recall the enjoyment we shared there. Hmmm, think I'll go Google Earth that place again right now!

(But I still love the Sierra the most! :nod: )
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
traildog93
Topix Newbie

Post by traildog93 »

It really has to do with the time of year you have to do visit I feel. The NPs in the SW are great in the spring and fall but really hot in dead of summer. The NPs in northern rockies are so cool inthe summer but I sure would watch the weather up there any other time. I would pick the Olympic NP or Glaicer for BKing.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

If money, time, and logistics are no problem, then this one:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/nu/auyuittuq/index.aspx

You didn't specify U.S. only. :D

I am still trying to work out a paddling trip to Bowron Lakes in B.C.

I also have a "dream paddling trip" penciled out, starting in the westernmost part of Voyageurs NP, traveling eastward into BWCA, meandering through Quetico, and ending at the eastern part of BWCA. Probably longer than two weeks, though. If I have driven that far I may as well have a side trip Isle Royale too.

On a more practical level, though. The southern Utah Parks may be on my itinerary next summer, with a side trip to Great Basin NP. I may have an invite on a Bob Marshall trip next summer.

I also want to ride the Great Divide Mountain Bike route.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Nice try Dave54, but I did write US National Park, Monument, Wilderness, Gates of
Arctic NP instead maybe.
Traildog93 you could go any time of the year you wish.