Bishop Pass Trail Re-Route

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
steve_moran
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Bishop Pass Trail Re-Route

Post by steve_moran »

FYI:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/news/2009/ ... pass.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frediver
Topix Regular

Re: Bishop Pass Trail Re-Route

Post by frediver »

Without a map link I'm lost.
Can anyone in the know post a high lighted map link or better yet a Sat image link indicating
the section of trail in question ?
Is the work really necessary for safety or is this a nanny thing?
Last edited by frediver on Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

When I was there in August, it was evident that considerable rock had rolled across part of the trail. This is where the trail starts to switchback on its way up to the pass itself. They had posted warning signs at the beginning and end of the stretch that apparently is threatened.

It sure would be nice if they could make the trail more direct when they re-route it, but based on past precedent, I suspect they will do something like double the number of switchbacks.
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

There's a traverse that goes through a very unstable section of moraine and just before the main switchbacks -- it may even be the remnants of a rock glacier. Anyway, boulders are constantly coming across the trail there. Not a huge problem for hikers, but it often blocks horses from getting through. Can't quite imagine what reroute would be -- probably take that traverse lower and tie it into the more solid cliffy section directly west, then constructing a couple of new switchbacks there. I doubt it would be many more switchbacks since that section is pretty stable.

g.