Forum Gathering in Mammoth??

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Parvo Pup
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by Parvo Pup »

Snow Nymph wrote:I might be able to do a winter trip. I took the basic Avy training last year, and have the required gear.

Looks like thew weekend of the 25th might work for a few people! Lets plan on that weekend in Mammoth!

Talked it over with Mrs. Pup and we would also like to join the party on the weekend of the 25th.

Sierra Lady over at Mammoth Mountain forums says that the weekends of the 11/12th and 18/19th are looking awful full due to the holidays.

I for one usually prefer Mammoth when the screaming hoards are NOT in town.

Would really like to finally meet you and Snow Dude in person since I've been lurking your webshots albums for a couple of years.

Oh yeah - we've got avy beacons too - so maybe a fourm run through Hole-in-the-wall??????

Where do you normally meet - we usually hang out at the parking lot over by Chair 21 if we have our dog with us - otherwise it's the Mill Cafe parking lot.
Sometimes I have a great notion
wingding

Post by wingding »

I'd be interested in that west side trip depending on when it happens.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I'm taking those two weekends off from Mammoth. The lines have been long, and I guess I'm a little spoiled.

I'll figure out a meeting place and time (after I find out where people are parked/coming from. I will take the Village Gondola to Canyon Lodge, then Chair 2 to G2. Just have to pick a meeting time. SnowDude will be traveling that weekend, so it'll be just me. I will send an e-mail to those interested, with my cell and other info.

Parvo Pup and anyone else interested, send me an e-mail at sierrariders @ socal(dot) rr (dot)com and I'll add you to the e-mail.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Bump . . .
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Not gonna be able to make it Snowy. I thought I could swing it, but then my company planned a training for Monday morning and I have to fly out on Sunday to make it. Oh yeah, and I have meetings all day in Chico on Friday... #-o

If we do a forum get-together in August I can probably make it. [-o<
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Skibum
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Skibum »

Wingding,

I'm planning a trip to Weaver Lake sometime soon. It's a pretty easy trip. around 6-8 miles. Half skiing the Big meadows road to the Jenny Lakes trailhead, then around 2 1/2 miles trail. We are getting dumped on right now, so the snow conditions will be pretty good for awhile.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Storm total: 23"
:D

wingding

Post by wingding »

Skibum:

That sounds like a nice trip. I haven't been to Weaver Lake, but I've been by the junction to it when there wasn't any snow. You're lucky you can ski - I'm stuck on snowshoes in the snow. How much snow did you get this weekend?

Kathy
wingding

Post by wingding »

SN - 23 inches in Mammoth?
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Yes, in Mammoth. That was the storm total from the daily report. Snowman reported 20-30".

I sent an e-mail out before lunch to those interested. Still haven't heard from Parvo Pup on this trip (I don't have e-mail addy).