Carrying Olive Oil

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Carrying Olive Oil

Post by BSquared »

We're planning on bringing a fair bit of olive oil on our upcoming JMT trip (high in calories, low in saturated fat, good tasting), but contrary to my memory, the grocery stores around here (Vermont) don't seem to carry olive oil in small plastic bottles. The smaller bottles are all glass, and I can only get plastic for 1 qt or larger, which is too big for the way I want to split up our food in the caches. Anybody have experience carrying oil in, say, used water bottles (the kind bottled water comes in)? Any other suggestions about carrying olive oil?
—B²
rayfound
Topix Expert

Re: Carrying Olive Oil

Post by rayfound »

I've used the generic little soft plastic bottles that REI carries for a buck or two.... an old bottle from a "Camp Suds" would work if you could get the soap completely out of it. the plastic flasks.

I've always thought the cap on water bottles was a little finicky... too easy to turn past and have it jump the tracks, so to speak... so I don't think its a good idea for carrying something as potentially messy as oil.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Ditto what rayfound said...the small little plastic squirt bottles from REI work perfectly for carrying anything from olive oil to sunblock. I always store the bottles with olive oil in a secondary ziplock to prevent a potential mess.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I use the 8 oz nalgene polyethylene bottles for evo, and 1-2 oz for deet, and sunscreen
with success.
http://www.rei.com/search?cat=5760719&c ... an+1+Quart" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
badtux
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by badtux »

Ditto on those who mentioned small Nalgene bottles. They do *not* leak. Ever. Some of the other small bottles you may repackage olive oil into may.
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Thanks, one and all! Turns out that I was able to find olive oil in 1.5 pint plastic bottles, so two bottles was precisely what I needed for the JMT trek. It's good to know how good those little Nalgene bottles are, though.
—B²
Bearman
Topix Novice

Post by Bearman »

I noticed that http://www.minimus.biz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; carries 1.75 oz bottles of oil. Have you tried these? They also have many other small packets for things like honey, PB & J, etc.
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Postscript: although I did find the plastic bottles of oo, it turned out that their lids were not secure after first being opened. They're the kind of wimpy threaded lids where if you turn them too tight there's a little "pop" and they skip back up one thread, making them loose again. Ah well, that's what I bring duct tape for...

I made a couple of dynamite spaghetti variations using the olive oil, though :)
—B²
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

We use those little "mini" liquor bottles for olive oil. While some are glass, and too heavy, others are plastic and work great. We've taken them from sea level to 9,000 without leaks. Of course, they travel in a ziplock baggie, just in case....

Plus, you have the added pleasure of drinking their initial contents as you plan for your next trip!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Oubliet »

I carry my olive oil in those plastic liquid medicine bottles that you can find at your local pharmacy.
They are sturdy and designed to seal well. They also come in a variety of sizes.
(I usually only bring 2-4 oz, but you can easily find 4, 8, and 16 oz sizes, too.)

I'm sure the drugstore near you will sell you a bottle or two for small change.
Last edited by Oubliet on Tue May 03, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.