Section G of the PCT (Hwy. 178 Walkers Pass to Mt. Langley)?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Elwood
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Section G of the PCT (Hwy. 178 Walkers Pass to Mt. Langley)?

Post by Elwood »

I'm looking for thoughts & inputs to this section of the trail. After hiking the JMT this past June/July, I started to think of a 100-mi. hike for next spring, so I'd like to explore the southern Sierra. I've never been to this part of the Sierra, so I'm not sure of the water situation for that time of year, or the scenery there? About all I know is that Kennedy Meadows is about in the middle of this hike, so that should be a good place to resupply? Thanks, Elwood
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Section G of the PCT (Hwy. 178 Walkers Pass to Mt. Langley)?

Post by copeg »

I assume based upon your use of "Section G" you mean Kennedy to Walker Pass. I also assume based upon your terminology you have a copy of the "The Pacific Crest Trail" Volume 1, which would be the first place to start for good information. There is also got a heck of a lot of PCT trip reports to search for information. I think my one suggestion would be to plan this hike for earlier in the season rather than later. I ran into a section hiker a few years ago (going from Kennedy to Wrightwood (of all sections that time of year to hike :eek: )) on Walker Pass in mid-late season, and he was having a hard time finding water along its length. The user hetchy here should have finished to PCT by now, and you might want to pick his brain via PM if he's around.
Elwood
Topix Acquainted

Post by Elwood »

In the book(PCT, printed by Wilderness Press) Section G refers to the area between Walker Pass & Mt. Whitney. I'm interested in hiking south to north, from Walker Pass to Mt. Langley, sometime next early May. I've read the chapter in the book & recieved some good info. But, I also like to take in personal accounts. Thanks, Elwood
SPeacock
Topix Regular

Post by SPeacock »

Early May will put you in some fairly deep snow above 10,000'. I doubt the road will be plowed all the way up to Horse Shoe Meadows (best to check ahead of time). Usually by End of July (even on heavy snow winter) Army Pass will be mostly snow free. Mid June anything below 11,000 should be snow free (mostly).

You won't lack for water on this trip.