Hoover Wilderness

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cmon4day
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Hoover Wilderness

Post by cmon4day »

Woo Hoo!! :D

Leaving tomorrow for a 7 day BP trip. Starting at the Leavitt Meadows trailhead and heading up the W. Walker R. Then head up Long Canyon toward Bear Trap L. Hope to make it all the way to Kirkwood L. Next we will drop into Northern Yosemite and head down Thompson Canyon. Planning a layover day at the large lake up on a bench on the north side of Thompson. Then begin the trek back to the car via Stubblefield Canyon. Up & over back into the Hoover Wilderness to maybe Tower L. Then down the West Walker and spend the last night at Hidden Lake.

Will post a TR with pictures when I get back.
paula53
Topix Regular

Re: Hoover Wilderness

Post by paula53 »

I can't wait to see your pictures. I enjoy hiking in the Leavitt Meadows area.
I hope you had an enjoyable trip.
huts

Post by huts »

Hope to see your photos and hear about your trip!
I was at Kirkwood Lake for the equinox, then ventured into Rainbow Canyon and out to Leavitt Meadows. Few people were out and about and it was warm enough to swim every day.
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

Hello All,

Got back safely and had a great trip. Hey huts, wasn't the weather phenomenal? The day you were at Kirkwood was the day we started out from Leavitt Meadows. On that first day we hiked in about 7-8 miles and camped where Yparraquirre Cr. meets the W. Walker R. Lots of little dinks in the river, but we were tired and it was late so we didn't fish.

The next morning we left and headed up Long Canyon toward Beartrap L. Ate lunch just below Beartrap at these little ponds that had some decent sized fish in them (surprisingly). After Beartrap we headed off trail en route to Kirkwood L. Going was rough. With a fair amount of bushwhacking and route finding we were able to make it to a little lake/tarn just north of Kirkwood Pass. It was late and we were tired and the ridge to Kirkwood was daunting so we just stayed at the little lake.

DISASTER STRIKES!! When I took off my pack, I noticed my sleeping bag was GONE! I ran back to the other side of the lake where we first took off our packs, no bag. I retraced our steps up to a point where we had to down climb a small cliff band, no bag. It's late, hungry and now what??? Surviorman skills kick in. I found a nice thicket of lodgepoles and kicked out a trough about 12" deep and 6' long in the pine needles. Fortunately I still had my Thermarest pad and Don had his Bivy Sack. I then cut a bunch of dried up Cow Parsnip, made bundles, and placed them on my rain poncho. I then folded the poncho over and made a blanket. (see pictures) Did the same with Don's poncho. So now I have 2 blankets. After dinner and cocktails, I put on all my clothes, crawled in the bivy, pulled the makeshift blankets over me, and had a toasty warm night without my sleeping bag.

Change in plan. Instead of heading down Thompson Canyon we decide to take our layover day here and go back to try and find my bag. As luck would have it, about an hour back, I found my bag where we had taken a break the previous day. YEAH! Back in Business.

After our second night at this place we then climbed the ridge toward Kirkwood, cross over into Northern Yosemite and into Thompson Canyon. We scrapped the Thompson/ Stubblefield loop and opted for a relaxing day exploring. We climbed Hawksbeak Peak (elev. 11134) and checked out a small lake. We ended up camping at the small lakes below Hawksbeak. What a BEAUTIFUL place. Some of the best scenery I've seen. No fish at the lakes though.

The next day we wanted to get a glimpse of Stubblefield Canyon so we ascended up a steep couloir and topped out at peak 10654 just to the east of Tower Peak. Awesome views to be had. That night found us in a high mountain meadow near at the headwaters of the W. Walker River. The river was teeming with fish (Goldens). Caught and released a bunch of fish ranging from 6 - 10".

The following day we followed the river to Upper Piute Meadows, then through Lower Piute Meadows. We took the abandoned trail on the West side of the river. Pretty sketchy in places, I do not recommend going that way. But nevertheless, we made it back to the main trail were we found a place to camp along the river and fished (rainbows and browns down here). Kept two keepers for an after dinner treat.

The last day we hiked out back to the trailhead were we had a 6 pack of Sierra Nevadas waiting for us. After a shower and lunch at Kennedy Meadows, we headed home.

So see the pictures, follow this link. http://gallery.me.com/cmon4day#100113" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and pic's to a pretty area, and one that is rarely visited, at least I
did not see a lot of evidence traffic when I was there back in the 90's.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Great- hey if you get a chance to put location info on your pics it would be a terrific addition to your fine TR, and help us share in the excitement. Some nice looking class 5 rock back there..gotta look into that (but a LONG way to haul in gear...)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi MK

There are some great rock climbing routes out of Twin Lakes.
Start up towards Crown Lake but before Barney Lake go off trail up Little Slide
Canyon up towards Ice Lake Pass, half way up and to the east you have a massive rock
named The Incredible Hulk with a route named the Red Dihedral a 5.10 classic
considered one of the best 5.10's in the Sierra, and some other good crack climbing
routes which you can look up.
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

"Some nice looking class 5 rock back there.." ya
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Maverick- I have been back to the Hulk (crossed Sawtooth Ridge via that way some years ago), that's too hard for my skill/age level (they are more committing than the ranking might suggest). But always looking for those long mellower routes like Conness or Matthes Crest, etc., that might be hiding out there...
huts

Post by huts »

cmon4day, How was the trail to Beartrap and what is "sketchy" about the west side trail? (I believe I used that trail 38 years ago.....)
Here is a link to some of my photos
http://web.mac.com/heidileehall/iweb/Si ... hotos.html