Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 1

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
wingding

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 1

Post by wingding »

I'm thinking of using my REI dividend to buy the one-person SL Seedhouse made by Big Agnes. I've been using a bivy most of the time, but I think I'd like a lightweight tent for when I'm out for more that 3-days. I have an Integral Designs MK1 Lite and love it, but it weights a little over a pound more than the Seedhouse and I'd like to save the ID tent for winter camping when I need a stronger tent.

Does anyone have the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 1 and what do you think of it????
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

Kathy, I was looking and considering that tent last year...and still am interested in it. I was also looking at the Eureka Spitfire one..have you seen that one?
I have been using the best one person tent for years..but I do not have a rain fly for it...so have been thinking about getting a new one.
That seedhouse does look very nice and roomy enough & also to sit up in which is very important to me...They have it at campmor for 179.00 I just saw..you may be able to get it less and with free shipping too
jdub
Founding Member

Post by jdub »

My wife and bought the Seedhouse 2 last year and love it. It is super light, and I really like leaving the fly off and sleeping under the stars without the bugs, under the mesh. The only drawback came when we got out black lab last year, it is way to tight for the 3 of us. Of course the dog had to sleep on my side for 3 nights.

The rainfly is bulletproof. Got caught in some afternoon thunderstorms and threw up the freestanding fly and drank coffee for a couple hours. It was nice, kept me and my gear dry.

I would say it was well worth the money.

Hope it works out,

JDub
wingding

Post by wingding »

madeintahoe - this year's model is supposed to be lighter than last years, so I'm wondering if Campmor has the older model on sale.

jdub - thanks for you input - I think I'm going to go ahead and buy it with the help of my REI Dividend when that comes out. Usually they do a 20% off sale about the same time the dividend comes out, so that will help too.
wingding

Post by wingding »

I now have a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1. It looks like it will work. I'll still use my bivy on shorter trips, but when I'm out on backpacking trips over 3 days long I'll use the Seedhouse.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Paige from another forum I belong to, just got one a few weeks ago and used it on her trip into the Grand Canyon and seemed to like it. She posted a trip report and gear report over on TT where I just lurk.
Piece of cake.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Kathy how exciting!!! Have you weighed it to see if it is true to the weight they say? I am still thinking about this one...let us know how you like it when you use it. I am very curious on what you think about it.
wingding

Post by wingding »

I haven't weighed it. I don't have a good scales at home, so I'll have to bring it to work and put it on the postal scale.