Mineral King Marmots

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Mineral King Marmots

Post by rightstar76 »

I was wondering if anyone had gotten back from Mineral King recently and could comment on the marmot situation. The recording for the ranger station says there are no more marmots. However, Greg said something about marmots when he went earlier this month. Did they eat anything under your hood Greg? I don't want to take my car there if they're still active. Thanks.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mineral King Marmots

Post by copeg »

When I went the ranger stressed the marmots are problematic in spring/early summer - the later it gets in the season the less of a problem they are. I guess at some point they find other things tastier than rubber. At the time he mentioned they hadn't had a reported incident for a month (this being ~3 weeks ago). Of the 20-30 cars at the trailhead, only 1 was 'wrapped up'. 3 nights out and no ill effects upon return. Hope this helps.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

I think this is true generally - I've been to one location early season and again in late summer, Ostrander lake in Yosemite, and the place is crawling with marmots in spring - by late summer, the only marmot we saw was a young'un running around in the distance. Other places the marmots seem to take a powder as well. I wonder if they are moving higher or lower in elevation? Or just spending a lot of time rearranging their storage for winter?

A campground host at Courtright Reservoir told me this year that marmots had chewed his hoses in his truck while it was parked in the campground, and he uses dryer sheets placed around the engine compartment to keep them out. He swore by it. I wonder if he wasn't just seeing the later season migration to wherever. Anyone else try this?
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Thanks Greg. I feel better now about the marmot situation if I go there.
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

I hiked out of Mineral King over Labor Day weekend. The car sat in the trail head parking lot for three days. No marmot damage.